Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

'old fasioned living'

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I want to start doing things more 'old fashioned' like 50's era I guess. And would love some ideas. I've always been intreged by doing everything household wise myself and how they lived back then. Anything you can suggest is welcomed and appreciated. Btw I'm a sahm so I don't have to worry about working around a job schedule. I just need a list of chores etc thanks again.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Yup... and thats why I could never be a 50's wife... I constantly talk lol

And a 5 minute nap on the floor? If you have to nap at all you've failed as a wife! lmao

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

And no chatting when he gets home! He should be allowed to relax and not by bothered by a woman's inane babble. Nothing you have to say is important.

If you need a nap, lie on the kitchen floor for no more than 5 minutes. No soft bed or real nap for you; you've got chores to do!

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

How into this are you getting?

Basically 50's wives did ALL the housework: cooking; cleaning; laundry; taking care of children. And she was well put together when her husband came home. Then she waited on her husband hand and foot; making sure that he didn't have to worry about a thing except relaxing after work.

And don't forget the baking; and cooking was all from scratch :) Which is actually pretty fun

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

you don't know what needs to be done around your own house O_0

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
It really isn't 'old fashioned' but household binders are very helpful for keeping info about chores, recipes, etc.

http://pinterest.com/lilmsjess/home-notebook/

I have chore lists saved on my PC, but I don't care to hunt them down and they're tailored specifically to my home and cleaning tendencies anyway. It's best to create your own.
AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

times were different.   they could Afford to have someone stay at home ... and if you didnt have any "help" (on top of staying at home - i mean a maid by help)  then you were poor (according to my gma)  so she never had to deal with the gross stuff.    which i wouldnt mind. 

but standards were so high as far as how people dressed and ironing everything/ eating out was a real special thing not something we just do twice a week because i dont feel like cooking.    people made clothes - 

and times were hush hush too.  people hid their flaws.    my gma's grandmother lived with them when my dad was a child and she had Alzheimer's and would go to the bathroom in drawers and stuff... but you couldnt vent.  you couldnt tell anyone!   you had to hide all the flaws.   which i think would be the hardest part and i hope we dont go back there as a society... 

i can respect women of that time.  but i dont think i would have fit in very well.  being a dominate woman (and bi) so i am glad to live in our time - where you can live like that if you please but your neighbors can happy follow their own paths too.   :)  

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Its amazing all that 50's housewives did; with or without "pep-pills". I wish I could be half as awesome at being a sahw as my grandmothers were.

Quoting AmaliaD:

thats what mine said too = "pep" pills.   she missed them but honestly she died early of a heart condition and i had to wonder if there was a connection.... my gma was the perfect 1950's housewife though.  

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

LOL I was talking to my gma the other day about how tired I was with all the stuff I do and she sighed and says "too bad times have changed; it used to be that if you told your doctor you were overwhelmed they would give you pep pills"

Quoting AmaliaD:

you could do speed.   in the 50's it was a common diet aide.   my gma was prescribed it by the family doctor.   she lost a ton of weight and had a lot of energy for all the housework.  no joke.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Here's a bump. Also, a lot of bitches on here will bash because you want to be the best you can for your kids and DH. Just consider the source.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM
I have the same reasons you do.

Quoting Liz132:

Why are you wanting to do this? I do a lot of things in a more old fashioned way to provide quality food for my family, to limit chemical exposure, to save money, and to be environmentally friendly. What you should do depends on why you are doing it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Exactly, that's not what I meant at all.nor did I mean I want to throw away the microwave.I just meant cleaning ideas etc.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is sad that today women think actually cleaning house and taking care of your children and husbands needs while your husband goes to work to take care of all of you is considered giving up your will.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I didn't mean submission, I want to do it to better my family health wise and things like that. And to save money.

Quoting BaltimoreBaby:

This. 

I do a lot of old-fashioned things because we don't have a ton of extra cash - so sewing, cloth diapering, line drying, hand washing, gardening, cooking from scratch saves money. Plus, the chemicals and processed foods are yuck. 

But some things are not so 50s. I also compost everything, I woodburn cook some things while burning boxes / wood / cardboard trash to compost the ashes. I do lawn work. I make rain barrels. I wear yoga pants / PJ pants / sweat pants everyday. 

You gotta give why you want to do this to get helpful replies. If you're doing it for environmental / money saving reasons I have tons of tips. Doing it to be 50s wife submissive? Not so much. 

Quoting Liz132:

Why are you wanting to do this? I do a lot of things in a more old fashioned way to provide quality food for my family, to limit chemical exposure, to save money, and to be environmentally friendly. What you should do depends on why you are doing it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Could you give me the group name? I appreciate it.

Quoting milkmama36:

There is an old fashioned group and lots others like them here on cafe mom. They have all sorts of lists for housekeeping and amazing ideas!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I know. Everyone assumed I meant pearls and being submissive. That wasn't it at all. I want to cook from scratch etc, just felt like I was missing something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Here's a bump. Also, a lot of bitches on here will bash because you want to be the best you can for your kids and DH. Just consider the source.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)