Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ETA IN BLUE - Is my DD's dad being unreasonable, or am I?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Your opinion?

Options:

You're taking it too lightly - she shouldn't be camping every weekend.

He's being overprotective, camping is good for her.

You're both wrong.

You both have valid positions.

None of the above, I'll explain in a comment.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 85

View Results

We're going to build a house this summer (me, DD, and my DH). We're tearing down our old house for materials, but it's going to be a few months before the new house is ready to move into. So right now we don't have a house. My DH is camping there and staying with our dogs for the time being because he has a lot of outside work to do there before the building starts.

DD and I have arranged to stay with family during the week, and then to camp up at our house on the weekends. There's no bathroom, so we use the bathroom outside and we don't take showers when we're there, we take one Friday before we leave and then Sunday night after we get back.

My daughter's dad (my ex-husband) became angry with me for having my DD there (because of the lack of bathroom and AC), so he offered to take her on the weekends, and I said that was fine. I called him a little while ago to check about this weekend and tell him about a festival I wanted to take her to on Saturday. He said he couldn't take her this weekend (he's having a lot of medical issues), so I said she'd come camping with me, and he became pretty pissed off at me and abruptly cut the conversation short, which he almost never does out of anger. We usually have a pretty friendly relationship.

So am I in the wrong here? Or is he being overprotective? He has such a passionate stance on the matter that it's making me question my judgment.

DD is 5, by the way.

ETA: I'll be back later to respond to everyone, I have to go for now. I appreciate all of your opinions of the situation. I do want to clear one thing up though, since it keeps coming up. We are NOT camping in a construction site, the campsite itself is about a fifth of a mile from the construction site, farther into the woods. It's a flat, grassy area in a clearing with several shady areas, next to a garden and uphill from a creek. We carry in our own water and we have a storm shelter in case of thunderstorms. The storm shelter has power and we keep a box fan inside.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thanks for voting!

kdjdod081013
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
We camped every weekend when I was a kid, I loved it and it never hurt any of us.

If we had needed cleaned up or needed anything the adults would have made sure we had it. Some of my best memories were camping.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kdjdod081013:

We camped every weekend when I was a kid, I loved it and it never hurt any of us.

If we had needed cleaned up or needed anything the adults would have made sure we had it. Some of my best memories were camping.

Thanks for replying! I have really fond memories of camping as a kid also, and I thought it would be a fun learning experience for her (who's a little too attached to indoor comforts). The skills you learn while camping - how to build and cook over a fire, stay cool without central air, relate to nature and other people and even yourself without electronics to keep your hands and brain busy - are so valuable. But he doesn't see it the same way I do :-/
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
How old is she? I've been camping with my kids since they were a few months. They haven't come to any harm and LOVE being outdoors.

Dh thinks I'm crazy, but the rest of us really enjoy it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Thanks for replying! I have really fond memories of camping as a kid also, and I thought it would be a fun learning experience for her (who's a little too attached to indoor comforts). The skills you learn while camping - how to build and cook over a fire, stay cool without central air, relate to nature and other people and even yourself without electronics to keep your hands and brain busy - are so valuable. But he doesn't see it the same way I do :-/
kdjdod081013
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Sorry accidentally hit the anon button trying to hit the add reply lmao

Quoting Anonymous:

How old is she? I've been camping with my kids since they were a few months. They haven't come to any harm and LOVE being outdoors.

Dh thinks I'm crazy, but the rest of us really enjoy it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kdjdod081013:

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I don't think you're wrong, sorry mama.

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Where do you live and what are the temperatures/weather condition? How long will you be living like this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM
This whole situation is odd.
periwinkle163
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Wait what kind of environment is this"camping" taking place? A construction site? I wouldn't want my kids to be basically homeless on the weekends either.

scarletmeshell
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Do you bring water to wash in? Does you daughter enjoy it? I don't see the harm in it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured