Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why inflict this silly cosmetic pain on a baby!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 600 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Did you / Would you pierce her ears as an infant?

Options:

Yes I did.

No I did not.

I would.

I would not.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1291

View Results

I don't have any girls myself.  Practically raised a few though.  I have friends and family who have had girls and have their ears peiced as soon as they are allowed to.  I could not see myself piercing a tiny baby's ears just for cosmetic reasons.  I would feel more comfortable waiting until she were old enough to make the choice.  I feel horrible for the babies who have to endure the pain of holes being poked in their ears just so the parents can stick pretty little earings in their ears.  It hurts adults.  Is it okay because the baby is not able to express their discomfort and disapproval?  They cry anyway, so what's the difference?  Why do it?  If you did do it, what age was the baby?

Spin off:  Can it compare to circumsising a boy?  Pain from a procedure the parents chose for cosmetic reasons (and other reasons, I know)?  My boys are circ'd and I felt Horrible having it done to them.  I let dad decide.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
39 moms liked this

Nope; I don't want to pierce my daughter's ears until she is ready, she requests it, and is old enough to take care of the piercings herself.

Lillysmommy0113
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

this

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Nope; I don't want to pierce my daughter's ears until she is ready, she requests it, and is old enough to take care of the piercings herself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
58 moms liked this
It only hurts for a minute. Stop exaggerating...
BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I have friends that did it, but I've never asked them why. I personally don't agree with it, but to each his own.
HisUsmcWifey
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
11 moms liked this

yes I did. I don't really care what others think. If my daughter decides down the road that she would like to take them out and not wear them that's fine with me.

TattedReader
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
5 moms liked this
No, I don't believe in getting infants ears pierced and no one I know gets why I feel this way. Why would I put holes in my daughters body just for looks when she didn't even ask. When shes old enough to ask me for it and knows what she's getting into, then yes I'll take her.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't think it's fair to alter my DD's body without her consent for a purely cosmetic reason.

Lovemybabyboy09
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Any daughter I have will wait until she is 12 to get her ears pierced. My parents made me wait that long.
KGreen75
by on May. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I wait until my girls are old enough to ask and I take them to a piercing studio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM

No, never. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured