Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doggie mommies, i need advice!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 16 Replies
My sister and I just went and picked up her dog from her ex's house. The ex was apparently neglecting the poor dog and since my sister cannot have her where she's living right now, I've taken her in.
We noticed immediately that the dog (a German Shepard and whippet mix, we think) is acting like her ears are bothering her. I immediately thought ear mites, but on closer inspection, she has no build up in them. One ear is, however kind of red looking on the inside. What else could it be?

The dog is going to the vet, but the soonest we can get the money together is next week.
I bathed her and cleaned her ears with mineral oil and it seemed to help some, but not a lot.
I hate people who mistreat defenseless creatures. My sister is beside herself with worry and I'm out of ideas.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM

It could still be mites. It could also be a hot spot.

KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM
I've never had a dog with hot spots. How is it treated?

Quoting Click_Queen:

It could still be mites. It could also be a hot spot.

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Here is a link to treating ear infections at home. I hope it helps. Also I would keep the dog away from the kids while his ears are healing, they are very tender and you wouldn't want the dog to react badly over pain.

http://animal.discovery.com/pets/home-remedies-for-dog-ear-infection.htm

KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Thank you! DD is just 9 months so we don't let her near the dogs without us right beside her.

Quoting locaporbebe:

Here is a link to treating ear infections at home. I hope it helps. Also I would keep the dog away from the kids while his ears are healing, they are very tender and you wouldn't want the dog to react badly over pain.

http://animal.discovery.com/pets/home-remedies-for-dog-ear-infection.htm

opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Take it to a farm and ranch store. Show them and they should give you something reasonably cheap. I have done that before. Puffers work on infection infections. The name of it is puffer.
3_girls_86
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I just found out that if a dog is allergic to something it shows up in their ears first. it cpuld be something in the brand of dog food they were buying. don't let the dog shake its head a lot because of the soft spots on her head can get damaged and cost more money. I've had my moms dog for about four months and just took him in last week for the same problem. hopefully you figure out whats wrong soon.
cbk_mom3
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Poor baby. That's terrible. I hope it's nothing serious. I'm a member of several rescue groups on FB, and in one, they had a case of a big dog that was kept by the man after a divorce, and he locked the dog in a room for weeks with no food and water, and was only discovered when the woman went back to get something she had forgotten. She got the dog out, and although she couldn't keep it, got it to the vets, and the dog was adopted after she recovered. And, the human garbage that put her there is now going on trial. I have no use for anyone who would mistreat an animal. I have a precious little poodle I adopted from the animal shelter. He'd been terribly abused and tortured before I got him. It's taken over 2 years of love and patience, but he's finally coming out of his shell some. I don't guess he'll ever completely trust. I hope whoever did this to him is REAL proud of themselves. Takes a BIG STRONG person to beat up on a little dog. Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. I really do hope the dog you have is ok.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Could be infected. Make sure the vet does a culture. In the meantime wash it out with 1/3c Apple cider vinegar, 1/3c rubbing alcohol, 1/3c water. Put the solution onto a cotton ball and wipe the ear. You can squeeze a little into the ear canal, buy don't stock anything down there, and stand back,once she shakes her head it'll splatter everywhere. You can store the rest in an squeeze bottle and use it in the future.
Jenn_A
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Yeast infection would be treated with a drying powder. An infection from a virus or bacteria is treated with target antiboitics, it could be allergies, could be a small ear mite problem, or she could have something in the ear (tick, grass seed, burr)

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on May. 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM

yeast? Go to vet. :) Clean the ears out. Like $40/$50 total!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)