Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE Preterm contractions help... Warning TMI

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

I'm 28 weeks pregnant. This is my first pregnancy.

I apologize in advance for the TMI. I wanted to post this in the pregnancy group but they don't have the anon button? And some of my TMI-ness is a little gross and embarassing.

I've been having braxton hicks contractions since around 20-22 weeks, but the last few weeks they've gotten longer, stronger, and overall just more intense and painful. I also lost my mucous plug (or a big chunk of it) a couple weeks ago.

I went to L&D the other night because I was having so many contractions. They gave me medicine to slow them down (i dont remember what it was called but I know it was blood pressure medication) and checked my cervix. I wasn't dialated but they said it was really soft.

I've been in bed ever since. And still having contractions, sometimes strong enough to wake me up out of a dead sleep. They say to call or go in if you have more than 4-5 in an hour, if I did that I would be on the phone with them or in L&D literally all the time.

I drink plenty of water so I know that's not the problem. They also told me not to have sex, so I haven't.

Tonight I've been having them pretty frequently, like one every 5-10 minutes. A little bit ago I started having diarrhea with cramps and back pain. I don't know if they are related because I did eat some soup and maybe that caused the diarrhea. Does anybody know if this many contractions can ever be normal? I would feel ridiculous going into labor and delivery twice in one week for braxton hicks...

Help?

UPDATE

I called labor and delivery last night, and they said that if it got any worse at all, to go in. And then somehow I managed to fall asleep (I was exhausted) and woke up this morning and they aren't as bad. I seem to have more contractions at night? Does anybody know why this could be?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Call at least.

13579nlm
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM

That doens't sound good.. I think you should.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I'd call. Diarrhea is a sign of labor.

rliperote2
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM

That sounds like labor and its bad you lost your plug go in you need to be super careful sweetie.

SJG1013
by SJG on May. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM
I would go in or at least call.
KylesWifey
by Go HAWKS!!!! on May. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I'd be heading back to L&d better safe than sorry ! Worse case scenario they send you away but at least you'd have peace of mind and could stop worrying!!

kspear0120
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM

i was told in a normal pregnancy to go when they were 5 mins apart consistently for an hour... earlier on in pregnancy it was the same 4 or 5 an in one hour and esp if they got worse. It is much better to go twice in a row for nothing though then regret it later!

decembercherish
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM

call the Dr this does not sound good hun.

mamaslove4ever
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM
I would go in. Better safe than sorry
ame85
by Chemistry cat on May. 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Please call. In this line of work they expect it. Better safe than sorry!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)