Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Throwing away a friendship over $100??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Long story short is I loaned a friend some money for her car payment with her knowing I needed it back by the 20th when she got paid.  

She tells me today that she can't pay me back because she didn't work many hours this pay period and she needs the money to buy food, that if I'm short, I can just ask my dh.

This is where I'm asking wwyd.

DH and I have seperate bank accounts (don't question it, it works really well for us), but he helps me whenever I need it (he works a lot more and makes a hell of a lot more than I do).  But....I've been out of work for three weeks on medical leave and my hospital bills are starting to roll in.  Now...dh will in fact help me if I need it, but I'm really offended that she would even say that, that wasn't part of the deal when I loaned her the money. 

Am I wrong for being upset and mad? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allornone
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM

She feels entitled to your money..bye bye she is not a friend

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this

That just shows what type of person they are. I would also end the friendship

britadams10
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM

yeah i'd be pissed. tell her you helped her when she needed it and now you need her to pay you back,

this is why i don't lend people money.

lendales_mommi
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Not worth ending a friendship over but you can learn from this and not lend her the money. I love how some people think their needs are more important than your even though YOU gave her money in the first place......I am currently waiting for my BFF to pay back the 150 she owes from 2 weeks ago:( I will not be lending more than 20 to my friend in the future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Tell her she needs to pay at least 25-50 back on her pay day, and let her know the rest will need to be paid on the following payday. After that don't lend her money.
iwanabemomie
by Chunk on May. 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Yeah, that statement alone would piss me off. You got a right to be mad, my words would have went a long way with her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:18 AM
No. I'd tell her that you loaned her the money not your DH so he has nothing to do with it. I would never loan her money again, it sounds like you'll be lucky if you get it back at all with the comments she's making.
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Well first; I would have no problem asking DH to help me out. And as for the friend; $100 (to me) is not worth losing a friend over. And I adhere to the idea  "Don't lend money to friends unless you can afford to not have it returned." Honestly it's a tough situation.... So good luck

catrig
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM
I just wouldn't loan her money again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on whether or not you're good friends. I would loan my friend $100 and say "pay it back when you can", and trust me, we are not by any means well off. KARMA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)