Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So how do you ladies do it? No shampoo?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM
  • 11 Replies
I've heard of ladies not using any sort of shampoo or conditioner to wash their hair. How does that work? If I go a few days without a shampoo/conditioner I look like a greasy mess. So how does it work?
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jasmlpr
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:42 AM
I haven't heard of that. So, *bump* for your cause.
CountryMomma123
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I'm not sure but I know not washing it with shampoo can damage it too

HelloKitty86
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar

AMCMSM
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this
You are a greasy mess for at least 2 weeks usually then it starts to levels out. I had ugly hair for a month. Now it is thicker, lighter I'm color, less frizzy and has tons of curl.
Domestic.Godess
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM
I "wash" once a week with baking soda and apple vinegar. I've been no poo for a couple of months and my hair is finally adjusted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:48 AM

ive just started doing this im almost done with the first week two washes this week

i only used baking soda and apple cider vinegar.  immediately after "washing" my hair i noticed a difference in how clean it was.  i have my husband and daughter doing it as well

Jessica020410
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I really want to try it!

laineysmum
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM

There is an adjustment period for sure. I made a post about this long ago, I will link it for you..

laineysmum
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Link: http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/17889633
/I_havent_washed_my_hair_in_a_few_months_ETA_PHOTO_and_no_ poo_technique

Here's the gist of why no-poo is so hair-saving:

The idea is that our hair has a natural balance of oils to keep it healthy and protected. When we use shampoos that contain foaming agents (look for "sulfate" on the label) that give consumers that "clean" feeling, all of the natural oils are stripped from our hair. In order to be able to style our hair after being stripped, we use conditioners, cremes, serums, and other products in an attempt to recreate the natural oils. Meanwhile, our scalp senses the stripping of the oil, so it goes into overtime creating more in a failed attempt to compensate. THIS is why many women's hair is instantly oily if they go a day or more (or even LESS) without shampooing. Sometimes our scalps give up; which is why hair can get SO dry without the addition of commercial hair products. 

No Poo is a process by which regular shampoos and conditioners are replaced by natural alternatives; some advocate going totally "natural" and just "washing" with water (basically giving yourself a scalp massage) but I have been happy with a simple baking soda "wash" and a vinegar "conditioning".

Lately I have been "washing" my scalp with sulfate-free conditioner. I love love love it. I will post a new photo tomorrow if I remember!

Everyone's welcome on the Island..
Bring your sharpest wit and best googling skills to the Debate Forum 
Join the fitness challenge in Workin on My Fitness!

kdizzlej
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Thanks!

Quoting laineysmum:

There is an adjustment period for sure. I made a post about this long ago, I will link it for you..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)