Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need your honest input (long)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

So today at work, the staff coordinator came up to me about 45 minutes before work was done and said she needed to talk to me. I am just an intern, paid, but an intern so I am the lowest wrong on the totem pole. I do what staff says. Anyways, I work with youth from the ghetto/urban area all type of demographics etc.

Anyways, she told me that she had recieved a complaint(s) by a participant(s) about me. So I am wonder what could it be because I make it a point to be very chill, sociable, friendly, but proffessional. She then in the most vague way explained that I had said something in a way/or the words themselves that made the participant uncomfortable/offended/upset, not really sure which. That I needed to work on my communication but she never said specifically what about it was needing to be fixed. She also said I needed to stay out of the room (where some participants go to chill out but MANY staff also are back there and I have NEVER been alone back there so anything I may have said would have been said ar ound other staff and nothing from any staff for sure).

I was really receptive, she was nice about it, but leaving our discussion I was livid. I got:

1. I wasn't told who it was from

2. What I actually did or said wrong

3. How I could resolve it (I said to tell the participant(s) to come to me and we can resolve whatever the issue is and she said she didn't think it needed to go there...wtf)

4. She didnt contact me the FIRST time she was approached

5. This is the first time I am hearing about any issue

6.She wouldn't say if it was multiple or a singular participant (because it makes a difference)

So I am starting to think that it is one person who just has a hard on for me who doesn't like me, and I am only aware of one person who even remotely behaves this way. He is a participant AND staff (intern which I think is a conflict of interest and a horrible idea). He tries to instigate arguements, talk about other participants private matters, etc. We have had words, I told him to stop being rude to participants when he was. I think it is him trying to be a shit.

So my question(s): Is there something I can do about this from where I am at as an intern? Did the coordinator do a bad by not coming to me the first time and not explaining to me exactly wtf I did so I can correct it? Should I go to the head boss? Or should I ignore it?

I plan on doing americorp there and she will be gone in july to go to college out of state. So I am just really frazzled.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chasing
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Is there a higher-up, someone u can go to over the supervisors head u can talk to about this? If so thats where i would be headed asap
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:20 AM

she isnt even my supervisor, she doesnt supervise me. OTHERS supervise me. I just give her my timesheet lol. Yes there is the director.But is it worth it going to the director over this? Am I just blowing out of the water or do I have an actual issue to address?

Quoting chasing:

Is there a higher-up, someone u can go to over the supervisors head u can talk to about this? If so thats where i would be headed asap

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on May. 24, 2013 at 4:30 AM

If it is going to reflect on your job evaluation and/or recommendation, then yes I would find your actual supervisor and approach it in an assertive manner. Tell your supervisor that you really want to perform at your absolute best, and want to improve any problem areas. Tell your supervisor you would like just a bit more clarification about this complaint because you want to do the very best for the participants and the organization. I think if you approach it with a positive spin they will not worry so much about some kind of conflict. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I definitely responded to her in a positive way and being receptive to the information, hmmmm.... I just get the vibe she hasnt everl iked me and I don't know if it would be worth it ya know?

Quoting BekahBrownEyes:

If it is going to reflect on your job evaluation and/or recommendation, then yes I would find your actual supervisor and approach it in an assertive manner. Tell your supervisor that you really want to perform at your absolute best, and want to improve any problem areas. Tell your supervisor you would like just a bit more clarification about this complaint because you want to do the very best for the participants and the organization. I think if you approach it with a positive spin they will not worry so much about some kind of conflict. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 6:57 AM

BUMP!

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:59 AM

i would personally leave it alone at this point and if it comes up again, ask for more specific clarification or go higher up to get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I think you need to take the feedback into consideration and pay closer attention to your presentation at work. I have supervised a number of interns and I would never bring anything to their attention that wasn't a valid issue. Unless she felt the participant would need to sit down with you to resolve this, it would have been inappropriate for her to let you know who the complaint came from.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Hmmm the only issue is she said this is the 3rd complaint, I am really thinking it is coming from one person and I have been around nothing but staff and they never said anything about anything so it is so frustration.

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

i would personally leave it alone at this point and if it comes up again, ask for more specific clarification or go higher up to get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 5:17 AM

I am fine with not knowing the person, but she never clarified WHAT the issue was and I have lost sleep over this trying to figure it out. I really can't imagine what could have been done. I think who it is is one person who is ALSO staff AND participant. He tries to argue with me constantly and I have made it a point in staying away from him. She mentioned the room I go to occassionally that always has staff in it to stay away from. I haven't been in there but once in 2 weeks and it was the day prior to me getting talked to. There was only one participant in there and the participant/staff person along with another staff member. That participant is very chill and we were all discussing std and aids testing and the percentage of african american males who have it and the need to be tested. Completely in the realm of okay topics at my work and if anything the other staff person was crossing major lines. All I did was basically not my head and give proffessional feedback. The participant/coworker was in there. I dunno, I think it is a personal issue not a proffessional one. He is skeezy enough to do it to get my fired tho my internship is done in less then a month. It really uspets me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you need to take the feedback into consideration and pay closer attention to your presentation at work. I have supervised a number of interns and I would never bring anything to their attention that wasn't a valid issue. Unless she felt the participant would need to sit down with you to resolve this, it would have been inappropriate for her to let you know who the complaint came from.

smurfbitebug
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:22 AM
If she is not your boss then this is a non-issue. If there is any issue here, it is her overstepping her job title and if it persists I would report it.

Quoting Anonymous:

she isnt even my supervisor, she doesnt supervise me. OTHERS supervise me. I just give her my timesheet lol. Yes there is the director.But is it worth it going to the director over this? Am I just blowing out of the water or do I have an actual issue to address?

Quoting chasing:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN