Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do You Have "Baby Naming Rules?"

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 70 Replies

Poll

Question: When do you start getting serious about naming your kid?

Options:

At the Positive Pregnancy Result

2nd Trimester

3rd Trimester

When My Water Breaks

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

We are discussing getting our 3rd "into the oven" this Fall.  I'm excited and already my mind will play with names in my head.  Nothing serious, just when I see those cheesy name tokens at the stores (keychains, hair ribbons, or bike liscence plates) I'll start skimming and seeing what catches my interest.  I think naming is one of the most important things that a parent can chose for their kid since it sticks with them for life! 

So I was wondering if you lovely ladies had any Baby Naming Rules?  Here are mine:

1) No Popular Names.  Nothing that's common or has been on the Top 10 Lists in the last 3-5 years.  If it looks like the name is on a quick rise it makes it less appealing to me.  I just don't want to call my kid's name and have 10 kids look my way.

2) Spell It Wryghtt!  Some people love them, but I hate the crazy spellings people give names.  So we select the most logical spelling we can find for the name we select.  No "silent Z's" or dashes or replacing the 'i' for a 'y.'  It maybe boring, but it just makes life simple all the way around for everyone.

3) It Must Flow.  This isn't a science, but I found a baby name book that placed the names in order by common sounds.  Taking your last name you disect the sounds and length then find common sounds to help pick names that flow.  It doesn't make or break a name we like, but it helps find a middle name when we are stuck.  It's not quite a rule, but a really heavy preference.

4) Nicknames!!  We avoid short names in order to give our kids the option of nicknames that could be used in stead of their first name.  Both my husband and I have names that don't shorten or nickname naturally.  I like names like Alexandria where there are tons of nicknames built in.  If the kid is more of a tomboy Alex or a diva Ria or a calm Andria it's all right there to grow into!  So if possible we look for names that don't stick them into a corner like Jane.

5) Minimal Mockery.  I went to school with a girl with a rhyming name.  It gave her lots of character, but in elementary school it was hell on earth for her.  Sure kids will make fun of people for anything and any name has it's own stock of mockery, but we try to avoid soft tossing the playground bullies with an easy "Harry Bottoms" or "Eugene Sally."  

6) No C or K Names.  There are 2 generations of girls names with the 'K' starting sound in my in laws family.  We've retired those two letters from our selection.  The extended family has a hard enough time keeping those girls names attached to the right people.

So, do you have any Baby Naming Rules?  Anything you tend towards, lean away from, or keep in mind when you are selecting a name?  I'd LOVE to know. 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angevil53
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:51 AM
We had all those rules and no k, b, or p names bc i don't like them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I have names prepared before the end of the first trimester.  By the time we [try] to find out the gender, i have 2 full names for each gender.  The name I used for my first was picked out about 3 years before I even got pregnant.

I also have rules 2, 3 & 5, but not necessarily 1 & 4.

I always said I'd never use a common name, but my 'must use' name for my first became super popular (has been in the top 20 pretty much her entire life) shortly before I got pregnant.  Still used it and have since only met 1 other child with the same name around her age.

Also, I'm not really concerned about nicknames.  My name isn't 'nicknameable' and it never bothered me.  One of my kids has one and the other doesn't.  Neither seems to care either way.

Bauxite-17
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Those overly popular names are annoying...Like Aiden, Brayden, Cayden. I mean, to me it just looks like those parents didn't think to hard at all. And sure they're cute names, but when 10 other people in their class have the same name, its time to start naming kids something else.

We went with Elias...its a good strong name, its not overly popular, but not so unpopular that he would get picked on for it. And it has a short name, Eli. And it flows with his middle and last name.

If I ever have a girl, Her name will be Esperanza, which at first glance looks like a weird name, but its a beautiful name in spanish. It means hope. Which, is also a conversational name...its something interesting. I mean, it was to me when I met my first Esperanza. And I already have a short named for it...Zaza. I feel like its name that someone can be proud of too.

Also another rule I think is weird of parents...when they name their kid after an inanimate object, like a car. Those names are just weird to me.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Im just not a fan of having all of your kids names starting with the same letter. 

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM

You reminded me of my 6th rule - which I just added.  There are 10 girls in my in-laws family with the "K" sound starting their names.  There's just an abundance of those names already so we don't even look in the C or K names.  Mostly because there are no names left!  LOL

Quoting angevil53:

We had all those rules and no k, b, or p names bc i don't like them.

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

We had some rules with our last 2, and broke them lol.  

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

1-5 of your list 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
No Jr., ever. No ghetto names. Needs to be easy for the kid in life and when learning to write his/her name and will not cause bullying for his name :)!

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I loved, loved, loved the name "Logan James" or "Lucas James" for a boy.  I was in middle school so this was ages ago.  By the time we got around to having kids Logan, Lucas, and James all went sky high on the lists.  It just made the names unappealing.  I never liked the most popular boys in school either.  Something about everyone loving something makes it undesirable to me.  I should have a therapist look into that. :P

Quoting Anonymous:

I always said I'd never use a common name, but my 'must use' name for my first became super popular (has been in the top 20 pretty much her entire life) shortly before I got pregnant.  Still used it and have since only met 1 other child with the same name around her age.

LilliesValley
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

1) We both have to absolutely agree and love it. Once a name has been reached it is not off the list until an acceptable replacement name is found.

2) My kids will all have a "y" in their name (Yes, I'm that mom)

3) I hate giving kids formal names when you have every intent of calling them a nick name. My parents did this to me and it is utterly annoying. Therefore my kids names can not be shortened to a nick name.

4) DH's rule is no middle name (so we really have to like the first name because there's no comprimising with a middle name). It's a tradition in his family and our last name is over 12 letters and very unique so no need to have a middle name.

5) No names in the top 20 in recent years. Originally when we got pregnant we had names and then found out they were both number 15 on the list! Yikes. No thanks. One name is now number 32 and the other is 130 something.

6) I am the mom and I can spell my kids name whatever way I want. That's the privledge I get for cooking them and birthing them. Dh and I agree on the name and I get to decide the spelling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN