Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is she a crazy mom or am I a bad mom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

Let me preface this post by saying that my daughter is 21 and is unable to ride a bike. She has a combination of Cerebral Palsy (mild), Aspergers (mild), being partially deaf and having back problems, all of which make her unsteady on her feet. She USED to be able to ride a bike but has not ridden for 9 years; and apparently the old "you never forget how to ride a bike" hasn't worked with her. She does have a bike, but she jumped on it, fell off within a minute and refused to get back on it. I haven't fought it. I figured there were more important battles to fight than a damn bike. She can catch public transport, she's learning to drive, she walks places. It's not like a bike is a necessity in order to live. Now - I had a mom come over to my house with her kids who are 10, 9, and 7 and who told me that she had dedicated herself to teaching all 3 to ride a bike. There was no option, there was no giving up. There were no privliges, activities, friends activities, until they learnt how to ride their bike. If they wanted to go somewhere within a short distance - they had to ride their bike. She refused to allow them to walk; they HAD to ride. It took them about 3, 4, and 5 days respectively before they were riding reliably. She thinks that I should put my foot down and demand that my daughter learn to ride a bike. That if she doesn't learn how to ride a bike then she will never be able to do anything. That riding a bike is not a option, not a choice. You either do it, or you sit at the table doing nothing until you're ready to try again. My question is - is she crazy, or should I really be forcing my daughter to go through additional stress, pain and anxiety to get the point across that riding a bike successfully is a gospel law that should be a mandatory task in order to succeed in life? That's literally how this mom feels.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM

That is ridiculous.  Kids fall down and get hurt all the time, no big deal.  A 21 yr old falling down and getting hurt?  That really sucks.  It does also suck she can't ride a bike, but she won't be the only one.  If you really wanted her to  learn, I'm sure there's a PT who can teach her safely.

CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
She is crazy! That is overbearing and ridiculous even if your child didn't have additional challenges. If it were my Dd I wouldn't force her!
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:04 AM
She sounds like a nut. Your daughter is 21 and if she doesn't want to ride a bike then it shouldn't be forced upon here. I'm 34 and haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM
It is not mandatory to know how to ride a bike. This lady is a bit crazy.
Bauxite-17
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM

She just sounds a little whack-a-doo. Not really crazy, just one of those parents you don't really want to hang around too much.

shymomof4
by Kristyn on May. 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Do what's right for your daughter. It's really not that big of a deal. I haven't been on a bike in about 20 years. I make it through life just fine.
FishPhood
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM
It seems like there are many more less trivial things to teach your daughter than riding a bike. I mean, if that was the only way she could get around I could understand working with her until she got the hang of it, but if she doesn't want to ride the damn thing there's no sense in forcing the poor girl.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on May. 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Your friend is stupid and crazy. Do what you are doing. It seams like you think it is in the best interest of your child. So she should just keep her mouth shut till she is in your shoes. She will NEVER understand your position on this.
Megan11587
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM

She's crazy.

tnt1014
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:07 AM
She's crazy, no doubt about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)