Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need No-Poo Mommas to talk me through this nonsense...

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 24 Replies

OMG... I made it less than a week before I broke down and washed my hair with my old shampoo, day's 1-5 went great but night 5 I jumped in the shower before bed, accidentally got my hair wet so I scrubbed it down with just water instead of using the baking soda... and the next morning (yesterday) I woke up to get ready for work and it was so oily, literally leaving ick on my fingers and hair brush as I tried to unsuccessfuly hide how ick it was. 

I can't afford a transition period like that... I didnt think it would be so bad because, unless I accidentally got my hair wet while I was in the shower, I was only washing my hair every three days. 

So give me a run down on what you did in the beginning to keep the ick away.

Also, where I have to wear my hair up for work, I use hairspray once in a while and go through phases where I like to do something funky and use other products... Is there a line of products or maybe something home made that can stand in for hairspray/gel/mousse/etc that wont mess up the no-poo thing?

Ive read through Kitchy's post, and... oh I cant remember who it was and I just closed the tab... but would love to hear some more stories. THANKS in advance. :) 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bonitalilmama
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
How bout dry shampoo
anyotherday
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bonitalilmama:

How bout dry shampoo

I thought about it, but since it is alcohol based and super drying wouldn't my hair over compensate the next day and be even more grody?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

ewe...I would just wash my hair.

anyotherday
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

ewe...I would just wash my hair.

sure, I see what you are saying, and yes... it is pretty gross to walk around with smelly greasy hair. But I have seen major success stories from women who have made the full transition, and the biology behind it makes a lot of sense. 

bonitalilmama
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I have heard cases the more you wash the more oily it gets, like she said I would wash my hair, if you had dry hair it would be better to do no poo, you can also do a apple cider rinse but that would require you wetting your hair so im of no help sorry

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting bonitalilmama:

How bout dry shampoo

I thought about it, but since it is alcohol based and super drying wouldn't my hair over compensate the next day and be even more grody?

SaraD1989
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I use all natural shampoo.
anyotherday
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My hair used to be so much more oily, but that was when i was washing it daily... Since I cut back to every three days, and that was years ago, it's actually a lot nicer, so like I said, I didnt realize how bad the transition would be. I did wash my hair yesterday because there was no way I was going to go to work and serve tables looking like I dipped my hair in a vat of crisco!

thanks for what advice you do have... I might have to try at least doing the rinse daily until I adjust to everything and then cut back again... who knows. :D

Quoting bonitalilmama:

I have heard cases the more you wash the more oily it gets, like she said I would wash my hair, if you had dry hair it would be better to do no poo, you can also do a apple cider rinse but that would require you wetting your hair so im of no help sorry

Quoting anyotherday:

Quoting bonitalilmama:

How bout dry shampoo

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I switch between using Nature's Gate shampoo & conditioner and baking soda and a vinegar rinse.  I like the way it feels after the baking soda better...but sometimes it feels like I didn't wash it all out.  So technically I'm not a no poo girl...but I go a couple days without washing it at all, and never use the shampoos I used to.

anyotherday
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Any particular brand? That was also something I was considering... switching to something natural, and then starting the no-poo thing after I adjusted to the natural stuff. 

It is weird. I use all natural stuff on the kids hair and bodies, and DH and I use Dr. Bronners for us... we are pretty "natural" with everything else we use in the house... but for DH and I, we use regular old shampoo (he uses head and shoulders and I use Garnier Fructis) I just dont know why that is and Im trying to remedy this issue... lol :)

Quoting SaraD1989:

SaraD1989
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I've used from Whole Foods stuff to Burt's Bees. Have you tried just using coconut oil or apple coder vinegar?

Quoting anyotherday:

Any particular brand? That was also something I was considering... switching to something natural, and then starting the no-poo thing after I adjusted to the natural stuff. 

It is weird. I use all natural stuff on the kids hair and bodies, and DH and I use Dr. Bronners for us... we are pretty "natural" with everything else we use in the house... but for DH and I, we use regular old shampoo (he uses head and shoulders and I use Garnier Fructis) I just dont know why that is and Im trying to remedy this issue... lol :)

Quoting SaraD1989:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)