Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone in here ever go to college while pregnant or with an infant? i need advice please :-) Edit

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 50 Replies
This will probably not be drama filled enough for many responses, but I'm going to try anyway.

DH and I got married the summer after my first year of college, and I got pregnant right before. I tried to make it through the next semester, but my pregnancy symptoms and rapid weight gain made it difficult (turns out I was having twins, twice the symptoms, twice the fun lol). So I made a bad decision and dropped out, telling myself I'd go back as soon as I could. My DDs are 7 now and I have a 4 y/o DS. So yeah, not so much on the going back.

I've decided that if I'm going to do it, the time is now. One problem though, DH and I have been ttc for a few months now, and I do still want another baby. So, here's my question: How doable do you all think my situation is? I need advice/opinions from ladies who have been through this. Thanks in advance :-)

Edit: Thank you ladies for all your supportive comments :-) You have given me the boost I think I needed. DH and I have decided we will keep ttc-ing until August. If we have not conceived by then, we will call it not meant to be. Either way though I will be starting college classes in the fall.

Once again thank you all :-)
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandyns87
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I graduated with a girl who was studying for her finals while she was in labor. I didn't do it, but it's possible.

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on May. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I graduated college 9 months pregnant lol.  He was my first kiddo though, so I didn't have other babies at home.  It was rough, but I just kept at it because I thought it would lead to a better job for me and my family.  

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I haven't but my mother did. She got pregnant with me and married during her second year of college. She worked her tail off and still finished on time two years later. Her key thing that help was a good support group around her. My dads chief's wife would babysit me so she could study and my dad help out as Much as he could when his ship was in port. She is proof it's something someone can do but it's hard work
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM

You dropped out the first time BECAUSE of pregnacy, so maybe you aren't the pregnancy plus school kind of lady?

I finished the second year of a two year degree while pregnant and with a two year old, first year with just a two year old. I wouldn't want to be attended college with a newborn though.

MamaTurney
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Wow that's dedication lol

Quoting Brandyns87:

I graduated with a girl who was studying for her finals while she was in labor. I didn't do it, but it's possible.

sahmw2010
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

i started college in my last month of pregnancy, and only took 2 weeks off and went back to finish the term and onto the rest up until graduation. i am now back in for another degree and i have a baby again. if you have the family support, it is really easy. my family has been nothing but suportive of me and helping me everyway possible. though right now my "family support" comes from my husband taking the kids on the occasion he is home so i can focus on my school work with no inturruptions. otherwise, nap time is awesome

MamaTurney
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Lol, well the first time I was 19 and not exactly super mature or that much of a forward thinker. I was more "ugh I'm uncomfortable and don't want to do this". I'm 26, will be 27 by the time I am able to start. I'm not as flighty as I use to be and a lot more determined.

Its the newborn thing that worries me too, but I also don't want to wait too long, there will always be another excuse, another reason you know

Quoting Anonymous:

You dropped out the first time BECAUSE of pregnacy, so maybe you aren't the pregnancy plus school kind of lady?

I finished the second year of a two year degree while pregnant and with a two year old, first year with just a two year old. I wouldn't want to be attended college with a newborn though.

sahmw2010
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Quoting MamaTurney:

This will probably not be drama filled enough for many responses, but I'm going to try anyway.

DH and I got married the summer after my first year of college, and I got pregnant right before. I tried to make it through the next semester, but my pregnancy symptoms and rapid weight gain made it difficult (turns out I was having twins, twice the symptoms, twice the fun lol). So I made a bad decision and dropped out, telling myself I'd go back as soon as I could. My DDs are 7 now and I have a 4 y/o DS. So yeah, not so much on the going back.

I've decided that if I'm going to do it, the time is now. One problem though, DH and I have been ttc for a few months now, and I do still want another baby. So, here's my question: How doable do you all think my situation is? I need advice/opinions from ladies who have been through this. Thanks in advance :-)

my dd is 8, my ds1 is 3 and my baby is now 9months. it is doable, but you have to find a schedual that works for you. this time around i chose to do online classes figuring it was easiest. seminars at night after kids are in bed, and my homework is done during nap time. or if i am lucky enough that hubby is home early or off, he takes the kids out for a few hours so i can work on my stuff.

Wickedawesome88
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I started college pregnant, had ds got my AS then went back for my BS got pregnant again and stayed. So I've been pregnant in school twice, in school with an infant and in school with a 5 yr old and an infant.

Bottomline you need a good SUPPORT SYSTEM!!! I couldn't do it without dh and my family that helped babysit, quiz me, proof read papers. I owe my degrees to my family!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I graduated high school with a 2 month old lol.

I went straight to college in the fall. So he was about 6 months old when I put him in daycare so I could go to class.

It was hard. I struggled a lot. Perserverence is key though because I graduated on time at the top of my class.

After class I'd keep him in day care for an hour or two so I could catch up on homework and study. I'd also study after he went to bed. I never went to parties or did normal college things.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)