Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Court Question ... Visitation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

I have two daughters with a guy, one is 2 years old and the other is 10 months old. He only pays child support for our 2 year old and takes her every other weekend (to dump on his parents) because it is court ordered. When DD2 was born two months early, she had to stay in the NICU for a month and he visited her twice - maybe three times. She has his last name and he is on her birth certificate because we were together at the time and trying to make things work. He has never bought her anything, helped with anything, asked about her or any of that.

I was wondering if a judge in South Carolina can revoke his rights as "father" to our 10 month old based on those facts?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by ThePonds on May. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Are you married? Does your spouse want to adopt you 10monrh old? If not chances are no. I'm not sure about your state laws but most states say that you have to be married and have the child being adopted to allow that to happen.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on May. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Are you married? Does your spouse want to adopt you 10monrh old? If not chances are no. I'm not sure about your state laws but most states say that you have to be married and have the child being adopted to allow that to happen.
firespurity
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM
It's there a reason why he spends "time" with one daughter and not the other?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I am married and my DH does want to adopt both DDs but as of now, it looks like that can only happen for our 10MO. She already calls DH daddy because he is all she has known.  

Quoting Hanab818:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM

No, he knows both girls are biologically his. It is just court ordered he take DD2, he doesn't have to but as he told me once, and I quote, "she is a bill to me so I'm gonna see her as long as I have to pay for her".  

Quoting firespurity:

It's there a reason why he spends "time" with one daughter and not the other?

firemouse23
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Why does he only pay child support for 1 and not both?  The judge won't revoke his rights to only 1 of the children if both are his.  He will make him pay child support for the other one though.  I do wish you luck with this but maybe the visitation and child support order needs to be revisited and changed.  If you pursue adoption for both children...you can have him sign his rights over voluntarily which will make it so that his child support will stop and your DH can adopt.  I would get a lawyer and check it out.

Hanab818
by ThePonds on May. 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM
You can ask him to do both kids he might willingly do it if you tell him it will get him out of child support. But yes the state might allow it. I suggest get a good family lawyer.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am married and my DH does want to adopt both DDs but as of now, it looks like that can only happen for our 10MO. She already calls DH daddy because he is all she has known.  

Quoting Hanab818:

Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

No they won't. Unless you take him back to court they will not up the child support so thats on you.

Mychele
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
You married a man in a matter of months after ending it with the girl's dad and you want your husband to adopt them??? Slow your roll ! How well do you know your husband ?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

What will probably happen is a dna test ordered, if baby is his he will be ordered to pay support on both and given a visitation order for the girls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)