Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confessions of a Xing guard - FU and your children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
4 moms liked this

The year is almost over.  Thank god.  I am so tired of being the only person, along with my fellow crossing guards, who cares about your children

When you drop off your children off by opening the car door and letting them out in the middle of the street, it creates a risk of them being hit.  We tell you to please not do so, and you swear at us and call us bitches.  Not all of you do.  Most of you contain yourselves to a grunt or an eye roll.  As though we are so tedious in our request to please keep your child safe.

When you stop your car, regardless of whether you put it in park, if you are not in motion, you are parked.  If you are parked underneath the No Parking sign, you're in violation.  Do you know why we have those there?  So the school buses can pull out and not hit idiots like you.  So when the school bus pulls out, and nearly side swipes the corner of your car, do not get out of your car, and stalk into traffic to scream at the crossing guards.  The signs are posted and I am quite sure that at least one of us has told you not to put your hoopdy there.

I have stopped at least two of your supposed adult selves from being hit because you were not going to listen to us about please waiting for a guard to step out to cross the street.  When you just waltz out there, children see you, and follow your lead.  The cars don't see a crossing guard, which they are used to, and don't always pay attention like they should.  Not one of the ladies I stopped from being hit was grateful.  One went to the principal and complained. Thankfully, my principal has sense, and asked you if you preferred that I had allowed you to be hit.  Your response was that you would have sued me.

Why?  Because you're a stupid bitch?  Because you don't want to follow what are, in actuality, pretty simple rules, and wait 30 seconds for a crossing guard to go out and stop traffic?

Fuck you.  Fuck all you parents who act like we're there to be hateful, and make you late, and make your children late, who don't care that you nearly got hit, or that you nearly hit a child. or that a child followed your dumb ass out into the road because you didn't want to wait one second longer.

I used to wonder why crossing guards were surly.  I get it now.  I try really hard to always be positive, but people, both on foot and in cars, treat you like you're an asshole, out to ruin your day.  When I did this job because it worked with my children's school schedule and it seemed like it wouldn't be taxing. 

It's not worth it.  So many of you don't give a damn about your children.  I'm tired of trying to do so.  So I'm not returning next year.  That way, when a child finally gets hit, which is a near miss every week because of the drivers and parents at our school, I am not on the crossing guard team and don't have to deal with it.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Tell us how you really feel.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting owl0210:

Tell us how you really feel.

LOL.  I did.  It's been a long year.  One that I am really glad is over.  I never realized how hateful people could be until I took this job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I was talking with my friend about this subject just this morning and we were saying crossing guards should get hazard pay.

I park in an actual parking spot to let my daughter out for school.  Parents will drive up behind me and stop in the middle of the parking lot to drop off their kid when there are plenty of spots.  Sometimes I have to wait quite a while to back out because people keep pulling up behind me.

It doesn't take that much longer to park than it does to stop, throw your kid out the door and zoom off.  Clearly the majority of these parents are highly paid surgeons on their way to an emergency operation, as their time is much more valuable than mine.

LawMom8308
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Oh wow. I'm a nazi when it comes to my kid and the street. Even though I park in a parking lot and the door to his school is a few feet away, I make him hold my hand to cross over. He is old enough and capable of doing it himself..... BUT..... I don't care. There are these things called blind spots.

I'm sorry you saw all of this. It sucks. I had no idea parents were like that. Even when my kid hits double digits I will still make sure he enters the building or gets to where he needs to be before just leaving or dropping off.
MrsImperfect
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
A family friend (growing up while I was in school and even when my kids went to that school) was a crossing guard. Sweetest lady ever. So very nice. Loved her job and the kids. Always asked how we were doing and the family. She missed us when she didn't see us and would even wait for us. Awesome lady. Even in a rough neighborhood. Need more crossing guards like her. :)
She wasn't right by the school though.
pochaccotx
by Lost on May. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i love our crossing guard she is soo sweet and does lots of training.. she works on a busy street that 18 wheelers drive down and it is a weird intersection that is 3 different streets

ruth85
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I don't blame you for being frustrated...it sounds like a rough job.  Based on what I have seen around my kids schools, I am not at all surprised.  Some people seem to genuinely think that they are so special they should be able to do whatever they want and everyone else will just get out of their way.

What the heck is wrong with people that they don't appreciate the fact that you are there to keep everyone safe? I am so sorry you have to deal with that....but try to think about the good ones...kids and parents both that probably don't say thank you, but they are feeling it and do appreciate you.

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM
My best friends mom had been a crossing guard in Brooklyn,.NY for over 25 years without incident. At the end of last school year she got hit by a car protecting the kids she was crossing. The guy wasn't paying attention. 2 surgeries from broken leg and knee forced her into early retirement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer508
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I used to drive a school but so I know how you feel.
JNLmomme09
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I love my crossing guard. I consider her a friend. We talk alot after I drop my kids off sometimes for like an hour.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)