Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sarcastic with your children?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 118 Replies
3 moms liked this
I'm one of those moms who is a joker and likes being sarcastic with my 4 year old dd (who can take a joke). Anyone else like this?

Example: if she falls and scrapes her leg, instead of me holding her and wiping tears away, I tell her I will cut her leg off and she busts out laughing.

Sometimes, when she gets on my nerves I tell her to go chase cars. Again, she laughs.

I know some may bash but I want her to be able to take a joke and not be gullible in life, and also not to "take things to heart".
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I was raised in a sarcastic household and I don't think sarcasm is good for relationships. Fine for comedy, but not a good way to talk to loved ones IMO. I got rid of my sarcasm at home, I save it for my friends.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm sarcastic....so are my kids. It does not bother me either way. They know there is a time and place for it.
Chloesmom1126
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I was raised on sarcasm too, it didn't bother me growing up.

To each their own :-)

Quoting Kitschy:

I was raised in a sarcastic household and I don't think sarcasm is good for relationships. Fine for comedy, but not a good way to talk to loved ones IMO. I got rid of my sarcasm at home, I save it for my friends.

PhoenixV
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sarcastic with everybody. Depending on who it is though, I may limit it more. :)

armywifey26
by Krissy on May. 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

We are a very sarcastic family. 

Chloesmom1126
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
That's what I teach my dd. She is very funny, but knows when I'm serious and I know when she is as well. :-)

Quoting MedicMommy2:

I'm sarcastic....so are my kids. It does not bother me either way. They know there is a time and place for it.

AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

i have learned - through many years working with young kids - that sarcasm is toxic.     its fine with adults.   but with kids...... its not the best method.    its dark and morbid most of the time (like chasing cars and cutting off legs)  and Most kids are like wtf when you use it....  i am sure your dd knows you and knows what you mean but i would be careful with her friends and talking that way - might think you are serious.    

JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
My son is very literal so no
wyomom4
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

When she was 2 1/2 my dd was driving me nuts and I told her I was gonna duct tape her to the ceiling. She looked at me and said "Mom, are you being startastic?" Thought I was gonna die laughin. Now at 11 she is sarcastic right back at me.

JNLmomme09
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I am sometimes with my dd because she is to sensitive and believes almost everything. But she's a smart cookie and knows when I'm kidding.

Like right now poor baby is home sick with strep. She also is coughing like a maniac. I yell from across the room.
" ok Juliana we get it, your sick!!"
She goes " moooom". She knows I'm kidding
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)