Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The sports that break the bank.

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 11 Replies

My DH and I spent $10,000 on cheerleading last year for my daughter. She loved every minute of it, My sons sports averaged $6,000.If I put both my daughters on the cheerleading team now that my youngest is old enough to join it will cost $17,000.

Is that a crazy amount to spend on sports?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
two4one
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If you can afford it, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't pay that much, but to each their own. Why does cheerleading cost so much?

umm.yeah
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Why does cheer cost so much?  I could never afford that.  I was freaking out when I had to pay a total of $150 for cheerleading.

mrsrusso416
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The team she is on is a competitve cheerleading team. The dues on her team total $3,500 for the year. And the rest of the money that we spent was air fair, hotel costs when they travel out of state, and uniform,bos, sneakers, and warm up costs.

Quoting two4one:

If you can afford it, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't pay that much, but to each their own. Why does cheerleading cost so much?

mrsrusso416
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The team she is on is a competitve cheerleading team. The

dues on her team total $3,500 for the year. And the rest of the money that we spent was air fair, hotel costs when they travel out of state, and uniform,bos, sneakers, and warm up costs.

KGreen75
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

If you can afford it with no problmes, it isn't a crazy amount.

two4one
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM

OKay, that's what I thought it probably was. If I made a lot more money, (I'm talking kike a quarter mill a year) then I would be willing to spend that much.

Quoting mrsrusso416:

The team she is on is a competitve cheerleading team. The dues on her team total $3,500 for the year. And the rest of the money that we spent was air fair, hotel costs when they travel out of state, and uniform,bos, sneakers, and warm up costs.

Quoting two4one:

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

For my family it would be a crazy amount but I'm not you.  Only you can answer the question of what is too much for your family.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on May. 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I wouldn't be able to afford that but if you can and she loves it, go for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

why so much on cheerleading??do they travel??my youngest son made the Varsity Cheer and I only paid 900..but then again they don't travel

highlandmum
by Spunky on May. 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Hockey gets very expensive.  Last year was not so bad for us it was around $4,000 for our 7 year old to play and for travel and hotels.  On top of that we had some new equipment we needed - Skates $300, Sticks $150 (each x2), shoulder pads $120, helmet with cage $200.  Now some of the equipment still fit him and some of the new equipment will last a couple of years.  This year his dues will stay the same, but he needs new skates and now goes from a youth to a jr. and the price jumps up by another $200. 

The older level the costs can be is about $8,000.  Some cities by us this cost is in excess of $15,000 for one player.  Now this is rep prices - house leauge is a lot less than that usually around $450 for my sons age, not including equipment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)