Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday invitations....kind of a dumb question

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 8 Replies

How far in advance is normal?  I sent my son's way early, didn't mean to, I was looking at the wrong week on the calendar and just kind of had a ditz moment.  His party isn't until June 15th...they were sent a month in advance :/   Haven't gotten a response yet but I'm hoping that's just because they're so early.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
highlandmum
by Spunky on May. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Usually I do two weeks in advance.  Sometimes I bump it to three weeks in the case of my middle child.  Her birthday is early January and we always have her birthday party the weekend after they go back to school from Christmas break.  So I need to get her invitations out prior to the Christmas bread which is usually three weeks.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Two weeks. Any more is too long and many parents will forget it, any shorter and it's not enough time to clear schedules.

Two weeks is the invitation sweet-spot.

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM

honestly I think a month in advance is okay especially for the summer birthdays  - a time when people are making lots of plans because the kids are out of school. My daughter is always in August and I give at least a months notice to her friends parents.

emsmom627
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

i always do a month.  i make plans in advance so figured other people might too.

prdmama1154
by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM

That was kind of my train of thought, since school will have just gotten out I wanted to make sure people knew about it while making summer plans.  I just sent them way earlier than intended.

Quoting Decemberlov:

honestly I think a month in advance is okay especially for the summer birthdays  - a time when people are making lots of plans because the kids are out of school. My daughter is always in August and I give at least a months notice to her friends parents.

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You could always make a phone call at the 2 week mark and just say you wanted to remind people since it did go out early and you know that that time of the year is busy. - Especially if you don't have any RSVPs at that point.

Quoting prdmama1154:

That was kind of my train of thought, since school will have just gotten out I wanted to make sure people knew about it while making summer plans.  I just sent them way earlier than intended.

Quoting Decemberlov:

MyLittleMunchie
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I think a month to 3 weeks is reasonable.  Any later & you run into the problem of ppl already having made plans.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Understand your reason but we always got more RSVPs at two weeks.I think even those that are good about RSVPing put it off a bit when it is a month away and then get busy.Do you have their emails ? Just send a cute blast note around June 1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)