Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rescue 911 - effective scare tactic?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 62 Replies
So I was just reading the news and after the fifth article regarding a child's involvement in a horrible accident and it got me thinking. I know bad things happened back when I was a kid but I also know I personally didn't do a lot of things that were considered dangerous because I saw the outcome on Rescue 911.

I knew better than to run around when mom was mowing because i saw what happened when a kid slipped on grass and fell under one. I knew not to handle firearms because I saw a boy accidentally shoot his dad when he tried to get it away from his son. I knew not to ever walk with a knife, even a butter knife, because I saw a little girl accidentally stab her brother when they came running around opposite sides of a corner. I also knew not to hang around when dad was working in the utility room because I saw what happened when a fireball hit and severely burn two kids who were playing in the doorway. And I never rode my bike without a helmet because I saw a little girl flip over her handlebars, land on her head, go into a coma, and then have to relearn how to talk/eat/walk/go to the bathroom.

Granted I knew not to do a lot if those things anyway because I was a pretty obedient child but there was definitely something about seeing the worst case scenario play out that scared the wee outta me. Leads me to wonder if kids nowadays weren't so sheltered (as many are today) and actually saw what could happen if some of the daily accidents we read about could be further prevented.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Bump
KMadsen
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

What is rescue 911?

TotallyTweedles
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Bump
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this

My daddy was a sheriff's deputy and my momma was a 911 Dispatcher; they didn't raise no fools.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Couldn't hurt. I loved that show.
FlyingHottie
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Omg I remember that show from when I was a kid! 

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I totally agree! i remember that show and there is a TON of things that i just wouldnt do because of watching it and knowing the potentially very scary outcome that came from it. This post has definitely gotten me thinking... I did start watching at a very young age, probably around 6. My dd is now 4 and i cant imagine letting her watch something like that, but then again i think that this is a really valid point. I didnt do a lot of these things because i was "scared". Maybe a little fear and caution is a good thing.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband's stepfather was on an episode of Rescue 911 once. lol (as a rescuer not rescuee) My kids are not in the sheltered category though. :)

mygirls53
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I loved that show
sheena696
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KMadsen:

What is rescue 911?

It was a late 80s, early 90s show that reenacted real 911 calls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)