Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step Grandparents?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 46 Replies

When my son met his wife she was divorced from her first husband and had a young daughter.  As soon as my son and his wife were dating seriously, my husband and I started visiting with them and the daughter at least once a week.  

That girl is nearly 16 now and a kind, intelligent, beautiful addition to our family.  I live about an hour away and try to see her at least once a week for dinner, shopping, or a trip to the nail salon.  We are quite close and have been since we met her.  I consider her my granddaughter and don't treat her any different than if she were biologically related.

I have never met any other women who were close to their step grandchildren so I was wondering if it was typical or unusual.  If you have step children, is your mother close to them?  If your current husband is a step dad to your children, is his mother close to your children? 

by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reava
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM
My mil loves my Dd. We live over an hour away from her and see her 1-2 times a month. My daughter talks about her "nanny" all the time.
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

my dh's step mom is my childrens grandma, just the same as my mom and and his bio mom. Same goes for my step dad.

DEJavu17
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My mother is VERY close to my SDs. They talk on the phone daily and when the girls visit she takes them out and does things with them. I was very close to my step fathers mother as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I don't even consider each of my parents spouses, step grandparents to my kids. Only my mom and dad get the grandparent title. We all get along and stuff. They are just NOT my kids grandparents.
metalmomma86
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
My nana (stepmoms Mom) is awesome! I am very close to her and so are my daughters. Good for you for embracing this girl and loviing her unconditionally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Step-grandparents?

that's dumb

AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

my step mom was getting close with my son.   then she seemed to loose interest when her own bio kids got married and she wants them to have kids but they havent yet. 

MaryCimino
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

My Daughter loves both ehr step-grandma's! But we don't call them "Step" anything, it's just grandma Jo and Grandma Vanessa (My husband was adopted, that's why he has two mothers)

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM

My oldest daughter's grand mother (her father's mom) is very close with my youngest who is not her grandchild by blood. She takes both of my girls on family vacations with her and offers to watch her if I ever need her to. She is a wonderful woman :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Our situation is a bit different as my oldest was 1 month old when I met my husband. We lived with my in-laws for 3 years and had another child when our oldest was 20 months. She is now 14 and his parents treat her the same as our other 3. She actually just took her clothes shopping and out to eat last weekend.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)