Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How far would you go to cut expenses?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

Lets face it, life was simpler in our parents generation,and generations before that. People needed less "things" to go about their daily lives.

if you were in a very tough financial state would you cancel your cell phone, cable tv, sell your car and walk or take the bus, cut out pop and other luxury items from your grocery bill?

I have friends whose husbands have lost their jobs or had hours significantly cut and yet they still have their fridge stocked with pop, they still smoke, eat out, etc.

i wish before people complained about how bad off they are, they took an active approach to cutting expenses. It may seem like a trivial amount saved compared to what income was lost, but its at least a step in the right direction.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

The only thing I could not cut out of my life is my top-dollar internet.

mommy_dearest_
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

sell my kid. more money and one less mouth to feed

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on May. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Uh I have. And the cell is the one thing i WON'T get rid of. I don't have a landline and in fact my house doesn't even have a phone Jack I've found.

Its not that hard. I don't understand why people think that's necessities
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM
We dropped our cable and eat out once on payday. I just got my phone back after not having one for 6 months. After I have enough saved we will get basic cable back.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
We are just getting out of this situation.
I have finally got my own vehicle again, we did sell mine.
Still no Internet, no cell phone
I have always been a cheapo when it comes to shopping so we do have treats when it comes to food, but I get it for much less than what most people pay and I stock up when I find deals!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barneysaid
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Down size on grocery foods.... Go back to basic phones....
Ninjabubble
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
We don't have Internet or cable. I'm using DH smartphone. I don't have a phone anymore and we don't have a landline. Not sure what else we could cut out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovecandy
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

ive cut out a lot of things before when my DH lost his job, had no choice but to. we did need the cell phone, however i got a really cheap 25 dollar a month plan, ive sold a car before to help us out, went with out a lot of things.....ive done it before.

MCA23
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I'm a tightwad anyway- I canceled our satellite all but the cheapest package right after the superbowl... my husband didn't notice until this week when the playoffs hit TNT and we no longer have TNT.  Sorry dude!  But hey, if we went 3 months without anyone noticing, obviously we don't need it...

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I could cancel satellite. I need my phone. We don't have a landline. But I have a cheap plan and regular phone. I could cjt out texting to lower bill a little bit. Could definatly cut out sweets and junk. Dh needs internet for job. We live out in country so we need a car. But our cars are paid for
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)