Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHMS Help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies

I feel like the worst mother! I just became a SAHM and I feel like my kid is out of control!

My son is almost 4 and all I hear all day long is "I'm hungry", "I'm thirsty" "I'm ..." How do you deal with that?!

He wants to eat all day long and if I offer him something substantial he doesn't want it. All he wants is junk food! I don't give in, but then I feel badly, because what if he really is hungry. I try to offer healthy snacks, but he doesn't want it. As soon as his cup is empty he's automatically thirsty again. It's driving me crazy!!

This is what just happened as soon as we got back from lunch:

LO: Mom can I have this lunchable?

Me: No you just had lunch. You can have it later.

LO: But uh uh uh I want it. *rips open package*

Me: Fine, but give me the cookies and you can have them once you eat the rest.

5 minutes later...

LO: I'm done. And I want the cookies.

He only ate one cracker. So I told him he could not have them.

LO throws fit about wanting the cookies.

5 mins. later...

LO: Mom I'm hungry.

Me: Ok eat your crackers.

LO: No I don't want them. I want cookies.

Me: No.

He finally eats the damn lunchable. Then 15 minutes later tells me that he is hungry again...

Also he just does whatever he wants to do regardless of the consequences, it doesn't matter to him, if he wants to do something he is going to do it.

I'm tired of the fits, the disrespect, the complete defiance, and the arguing.

Help me please before I lose my mind!! I feel like a complete failure as a parent.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
An0nym0use
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Ice tray filled with healthy snacks like nuts, grapes, other chopped up fruits and veggies. I let my kids eat all the fruit and veggies they want all day, and as much water they want. They can fill it in the bathroom sink or from the fridge. They get one "junk" snack in the day. But the snack tray stays on the table and is refilled when it gets low. They rarely complain about being hungry or thirsty because these rules.
An0nym0use
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Also, consistency. Time outs, toys taken away, etc. You need to establish a consistent basis of rules. If you're new to this, he's not used to it either. It'll take time. If you have a yard or play area near by, let him spend a lot time outside. It'll help.
My kids are 6 months, 2 and 4.
Heatherahh
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I stopped having junk food. Around. And have plenty of fruit and veggies available
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

You said no, but then let him have it. Say no and mean it. Mark times for snack and stick to them. 8) Also, set out fruit that he can eat at any time.

LoveNaCupcake
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

A lot of times kids will eat out of boredome, my kids have breakfast, a snack (apples or some type of fruit) lunch, another snack (fruit of some type) and then dinner. Whenever they start asking for food again I ask them if they're bored or hungry, it's usually that they are bored.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I would totally let him eat all the healthy stuff he wants, but he doesn't want it. He just wants junk, even if I say no he will still get it as soon as I turn my back or go to the bathroom. I have tried to put stuff on top of the fridge or in the top cabinets and when I go to the bathroom he will get a chair and climb on the counters and get it. I am worried he is going to get seriously hurt!

Right now he is laying in the kitchen floor throwing a huge tantrum because I told him he couldn't have marshmallows.

Quoting An0nym0use:

Ice tray filled with healthy snacks like nuts, grapes, other chopped up fruits and veggies. I let my kids eat all the fruit and veggies they want all day, and as much water they want. They can fill it in the bathroom sink or from the fridge. They get one "junk" snack in the day. But the snack tray stays on the table and is refilled when it gets low. They rarely complain about being hungry or thirsty because these rules.

KariC33
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Try doing some activities or go outside with him... The more hes occupied the less he will think about eating
PaulaChillz
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

We discoverec out youngest eats when she doesn't have anything she thinks would be good to play with so we started a rule 3 sweet snacks a day or less (gum counts so does an M&M )eat the whole bag may not get another sweet snack. She also has to behave to earn them. Honestly it was a long hard road still is some days for all of us. Hang in there Mom you're gonna get through!

kdjdod081013
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Love and Logic

Read it, live it, love it.
An0nym0use
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Then don't buy junk. If you don't have it in the house, then there is no way to get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would totally let him eat all the healthy stuff he wants, but he doesn't want it. He just wants junk, even if I say no he will still get it as soon as I turn my back or go to the bathroom. I have tried to put stuff on top of the fridge or in the top cabinets and when I go to the bathroom he will get a chair and climb on the counters and get it. I am worried he is going to get seriously hurt!

Right now he is laying in the kitchen floor throwing a huge tantrum because I told him he couldn't have marshmallows.

Quoting An0nym0use:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)