Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 8 year old has the attitude of a teenager

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
And I'm sick of it. Every damn thing I say to her she whines and complains. Every meal I cook is never good enough, even when it was her favorite. She has a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear. She has a room full of toys but its all boring. She wants to go outside and play and is back in in 5 mins because there was a ant or spider web on the swing. She doesnt like the hair brush I'm using on her hair. She wants to go to the park but when we get there its too hot and she wants to go home.

Every damn thing turns into a argument. I'm not one to spank, but I think a real good spanking is what she needs. Because punishing her doesn't work. I have taken toys, wii, computer and had her sit in her room with only books to read for the way she behaves. And she only behaves this way with me. She listens to her dad and grandparents. She doesn't get in trouble at school. When I ask her why she listens to everyone but me she says its because my voice is cute and sweet. So I've tried yelling, but it still doesn't work.

I don't know what else to do. Ive also done a reward chart. Which didnt last long. But if this is how she acts now, I'm afraid I'm in trouble when she really is a teen.

Please give me advice on what to do. I can't take anymore of the daily arguing.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Bump
x2monstersx
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Wish I could help.  My 5 yr old is heading down the same path!

Heres a bump for ya

SerenityBerry
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Yours too huh? Ours ends up in time out, going to bed early, and having privileges cut for giving us attitude.
Leissaintexas
by Emerald Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I have a friend who is very non-confrontational and her voice is very subdued, and she has a very head strong dd. These two things do not mix well, I'm afraid. The dd has no respect for her mom. I think you might need to take a public speaking class to learn to modulate your tone so that you are able to communicate with her in an effective manner. I personally have a voice like a drill sargeant, so I've never had that problem. My kids know when my tone means its about to get real.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Quoting Leissaintexas:

I have a friend who is very non-confrontational and her voice is very subdued, and she has a very head strong dd. These two things do not mix well, I'm afraid. The dd has no respect for her mom. I think you might need to take a public speaking class to learn to modulate your tone so that you are able to communicate with her in an effective manner. I personally have a voice like a drill sargeant, so I've never had that problem. My kids know when my tone means its about to get real.

I am very non confrontational. I put up with a lot of shit from people because I don't like confrontations. But I also dont hear myself the way others do. I feel like im loud and stern, but i have had people tell me my voice is very soft.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Learn the value of one word answers.  Don't get drawn into arguments with her - state what you want her to do, then stop talking.  Period.  Ignore any further complaints.  Don't cater to her (making her favorite meals and so on).  If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat.

But mostly - stop talking!

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 24, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I have no advice, I'm in the same boat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM

You say that now, just wait until she IS a teenager! Good Luck Momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)