Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 year old wearing diapers

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 523 Replies

My 8 year old wets the bed every night.  Pull-ups and goodnites were leaking most nights, so we switched to diapers a little while ago.  She complained a little about it at first, but quickly came around when she realized that her sheets weren't getting wet.

She's not embarassed by it - most nights she brings me a diaper to put on, sometimes an hour or so before bed.  She's happy to wear just a diaper and t-shirt around the house and before bed when it's hot, so it really doesn't bother her.

Judge away...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Has she seen a doctor?
momto3B
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Does she stop drinking by 6 PM? Are you waking her up to go to the bathroom during the night? What does your pediatrician say? 

staci1103
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My niece did the same thing til she was 9. She grew out of it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
4 moms liked this
That would not be ok with me.
Kmary
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

No bashing here.  Do what you've got to do.   You probably have done so by now, but have you spoken with her doctor?  Typically by that age kids are able to wake from sleep to pee, particularly girls.  And especially when it happens every single night.  By school age, a lot of kids do still sometimes wet the bed, but certainly not every night.  Just curious is all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The doctor's not worried because she's always been wet at night.  We'd rather not do medications or something invasive until she's a bit older, especially since she doesn't mind wearing diapers.  The doctor said it's a laundry problem, and is fine with pull-ups/diapers.

We've tried waking her up.  She still wets most nights, and is also really tired the next day, so it doesn't seem worth it.  And it interupts our sleep as well.

firespurity
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I thought age seven is when the doctor is supposed to consider health problems? Has the doctor checked into it at all?

Quoting Anonymous:

The doctor's not worried because she's always been wet at night.  We'd rather not do medications or something invasive until she's a bit older, especially since she doesn't mind wearing diapers.  The doctor said it's a laundry problem, and is fine with pull-ups/diapers.

We've tried waking her up.  She still wets most nights, and is also really tired the next day, so it doesn't seem worth it.  And it interupts our sleep as well.

tibby73
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

No judging here, my son wet the bed till just recently and he is 12. He was checked several times by several doctors. Nothing prooved to be wrong. Finally the cost of buying larger youth sizez diapers was getting to be to much for me. So I finally said I was not buying him any more and if he wet the bed then he would be fully responsible for cleaning up and washing his bedding each day. Took one week and he now has not wet the bed for over a month and a half. He gets himself up every night and goes.

YOu just have to do what works for your kid. It can be a medical issue, and if it is not then it is usually caused by them sleeping to heavy at night. In time she will learn to wake herself up. At this age I think what you are doing is fine. If she is still wetting at around age 10 and 1/2 to 11 then I would have her checked to make sure it is not a medical issue. If it is not a medical issue then work at a pace that is comfortable for you and her to start getting her to wake herself up at night.

BeAmour
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I was a bed wetter until I was 13.....it sucks.

I wish they had (or wish my mom said something about if they had) the goodnights or those things. Hell, I would have worn a diaper, too if I wasn't having a sleepover!

I got soooooooooooooo tired of waking up in the middle of the nigh in a dead sleep to change my clothes and my sheets.

EvilAsh
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM
6 moms liked this

And you aren't concerned as to WHY she is still wetting the bed? Just throw a diaper on and we're okay?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)