Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honest question, and I'm sure someone will be pissed off. EDIT

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 140 Replies
Edit: I'm trying to answer everybody. My internet suddenly slowed down. So I'll answer what I can here. To reiterate, THIS IS NOT A FAIL PROOF SCENARIO. I don't think otherwise. Things get destroyed. It happens. But even something devastating is not 100%. It's not even just about natural disasters. What about a job loss? Change in income? We used our food supply after having a substantial decrease. We rebuilt that one months worth of food over the next year. I have a bookcase in my kitchen that holds canned foods that are specifically for storage. I have dehydrated foods in my cupboards with everything else. We utilize our closets. Something may never happen to us, but I'd rather be prepared. Or if somebody we know needs help, we would have that ability to help them. Locally, not having to wait weeks for someone who isn't local.

So obviously after a natural disaster, there's a lot of shortages. Food ,water, ways to keep warm,etc.

Do people not have food storage or extras? So many seem to rely so heavily on others to help them after a disaster. And I understand that things get destroyed. I'm not saying it's a fail proof scenario. But I've seen before where people just have nothing. They could have, but don't. Example: post a week or so ago. House was flooded, was upset because Red Cross took 3 weeks to bring them food and blankets after Sandy.

Maybe it's just the mindset where I live, but it's very uncommon not to have at LEAST a month's worth of food storage, a large first aid kit and extra blankets. Why is that? Is preparedness just not a big deal to some?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Hurricanes and other disasters take people's homes and belongings...not sure what you're talking about.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 24, 2013 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this
We have extra but if our entire house was leveled I'm pretty sure our supplies would be gone too.
MojoRising
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No. Not everyone plans ahead. Not everyone is prepared for disasters. 

FreelanceMommy
by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Where do you keep these things? If they are in your house and your house is flooded or destroyed these things are either useless or just gone...

lovevamp
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Because if a Tornado wipes out everything you have no reserves.

Our community jumped into action within mins of Moore being destroyed, you must have a good community too help when something happens, Oklahoma has proven this so many times over the last week
couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM
What if the food storage was in the basement?
ColieO
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM
I understand that.

Quoting bmw29:

We have extra but if our entire house was leveled I'm pretty sure our supplies would be gone too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixV
by PhoenixV on May. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM
4 moms liked this
Some people live paycheck to paycheck and don't have the money to create a reserve
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on May. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

We have no space to stock up a month's worth of food. Not to mention if a tornado levels your house or a hurricane floods it out, any food you did have would be destroyed.

CafeMom Tickers
Melbornj
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM
If your house is flooded out leveled no matter the level of preparation you are sol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured