Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does This Type Of Punishment Work?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My dd is 6 1/2. She has moderate/severe adhd and is being evaled for ODD as well. She's on the lowest dose of meds so she can focus in school. I have changed her diet around and she doesn't eat gluten, dyes, preservatives, etc. The only sugar she gets is the natural sugars from fresh fruits.

When she is in trouble, she gets sent to the corner, has things taken away, early bedtime, and if the thing she did is really bad shell get an open handed swat on the butt. But these punishments aren't working.

Today her class had a pizza and ice cream/candy party. I wrote a note to her teacher reminding her that dd can't have the ice cream and candy because her body doesn't react to sugar good. Her teacher knows this but has forgotten in the past. Well dd decided not to give her teacher the note and threw it away when she got to school. Her teacher forgot again. And despite me sending her with apropriate snacks, her teacher gave her ice cream and skittles.

Then, i found out tonight that dd stole $3 of my laundry quarters and has been buying ice cream at luch over the last few weeks! I didn't even know they could buy ice cream at school! So needless to say I'm fuming mad she lied, and stole from me.

She's grounded this weekend but I need to try something new. I'm taking her to my parents house tomorrow and having her help her grandma and pap with the yard work (pulling weeds, and picking up the doggie poop). All with supervision of course. Papa also needs a helping hand sweeping out the garage for spring cleaning.

Have any of you tried this type of punishment, and did it work? I'm at a loss here.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Bump
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I make my daughter and cousin pull weeds when they're naughty.

5 minutes of non-stop pulling or a full bucket of weeds is my price.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yeah that wouldn't work for my oldest ds...he likes doing stuff like that....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Do you find that it makes them behave better? I really want to teach her responsibility and that every action has a consequence, good or bad.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I'm really hoping dd doesn't like doing it. Lol

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I find that they second-guess their actions more often knowing what will happen if they screw up.
They are aware there is a reaction for every action and most of the time, they'd rather avoid the trouble and find something else to occupy their time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you find that it makes them behave better? I really want to teach her responsibility and that every action has a consequence, good or bad.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Lol...my ds loves helping grandma gardening...he's been helping her since he was 2, he's 6 now...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM
That's exactly what I'm trying to teach her. My dd lacks implulse control so I'm trying really hard to correct that.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

I find that they second-guess their actions more often knowing what will happen if they screw up.
They are aware there is a reaction for every action and most of the time, they'd rather avoid the trouble and find something else to occupy their time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM
My son would love doing that, so if wouldn't be an effective punishment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I'm glad he likes helping grandma. That's always a good thing :)

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Lol...my ds loves helping grandma gardening...he's been helping her since he was 2, he's 6 now...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)