Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teach them English.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies
1 mom liked this
What do you ladies think of children that go to school here and don't speak English? I'm talking about the ones that start preschool or kinder.

I personally think they should know English. Otherwise, it makes it hard on the teacher and the child.

What do you think?

Edit, I'm talking about when at least one parent speaks English.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM

f*ck that!

Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this
At so little they pick it up like nothing. They just need visuals and repetition. Which at that age is pretty much standard for most kids.
Teacher101
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I am an English teacher and I think that kids benefit from being around English speaking peers. It helps them to acquire the language.

My son went to a pre-k with kids, who as a group, spoke over 5 different languages in the home. The teacher did just fine and said she enjoyed the diversity.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM
5 moms liked this

I feel like if they're in school here then they're exactly where they should be.

They'll learn english, it's amazing how quickly small children can pick up a language..

It's their parents that probably won't, and frustrate me.

Annettey19
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Preschool I see no problem. Kindergarten is a little tougher since they're expected to perform at a certain level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I understand they will pick it up fast. But how would they learn the other subjects if it's all in a different language?
EAzizM
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
3 moms liked this
I didn't learn English until I went to school. My parents only spoke Spanish to me. Our kids will not be spoken to in English either.
RMC007
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a teacher at a school with a high bilingual population. By the end of kindergarten, the Spanish speaking children can speak English.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I did just fine. Graduated with a 3.8 gpa.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand they will pick it up fast. But how would they learn the other subjects if it's all in a different language?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Why not teach them both?

Quoting EAzizM:

I didn't learn English until I went to school. My parents only spoke Spanish to me. Our kids will not be spoken to in English either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)