Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dance/Gymnastics/Cheer moms! Have a question for ya!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
My daughter really would benefit by learning to do a heel stretch by September for her competition team. What are different stretches she can do to learn to do this? She is semi-flexible right now but cannot do a split all the way yet. When she tries a heel stretch she can get her leg up but both legs are bent and she's unsteady on her standing foot. She is 5 btw. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RMC007
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Have her practice her heel stretch holding onto the wall.
ballerina18
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Honestly, stretching everyday is what will work. It's just one of those things where you have to be diligent about stretching.

I forgot to mention, the best way to increase flexibility in the stretch you want is to do that stretch. For example, if she wanted to be able to do the splits..sitting in her splits is one of the best ways to go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I usually hold her arm so she can stabilize. But both legs are bent so she's very unsteady.

Quoting RMC007:

Have her practice her heel stretch holding onto the wall.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Are there certain stretches she can do that would be more beneficial? She's the one who really wants to do it so she wouldn't mind having a stretching routine daily before bed or something.

Quoting ballerina18:Honestly, stretching everyday is what will work. It's just one of those things where you have to be diligent about stretching.
mbrowne1
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Keep practicing her splits. Also a raised split where one leg is elevated higher than the floor. It will come, it just takes time. Good luck to her! My daughter has been working on her flyer positions for a few years now. She just turned 9 and I see her flexibility increasing with each year. Her coach encourages stretching when they watch tv during the commercials.

ballerina18
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I mentioned this when I edited my reply above, but sitting in her splits is probably the best way to start. When I used to do ballet I would sit in my splits while watching tv or reading. My dd is 5 as well. She does ballet, but isn't on a competitive team. I think getting into a stretching routine everyday would definitely help her. =)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are there certain stretches she can do? She's the one who really wants to do it so she wouldn't mind having a stretching routine daily before bed or something.

Quoting ballerina18:

Honestly, stretching everyday is what will work. It's just one of those things where you have to be diligent about stretching.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Oops sorry! Never saw the edits. I will keep stretching her. She can straddle just fine but has no clue how to do a real split and I am no dancer so I'm not the best at helping her!

Quoting ballerina18:

I mentioned this when I edited my reply above, but sitting in her splits is probably the best way to start. When I used to do ballet I would sit in my splits while watching tv or reading. My dd is 5 as well. She does ballet, but isn't on a competitive team. I think getting into a stretching routine everyday would definitely help her. =)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are there certain stretches she can do? She's the one who really wants to do it so she wouldn't mind having a stretching routine daily before bed or something.

Quoting ballerina18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)