Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am actually refusing to help my kids... right now.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

My DD and DS have asked me several times to come downstairs and kill a spider.

I told DD she is old enough to solve this problem on her own. 

She came back up and said the spider was too fast, and she wanted to catch it instead of killing it. I gave her an empty jar and a lid and told her to go for it.

My DD actually said to me, "You aren't being a parent." 

I replied, "Yes I am, because I am not going to do things for you that you can do by yourself."

As I am typing this DD just brought up the spider and we let it go.

She is 8 by the way.

I stand by my decision.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Uh did you at least make sure that the spider wasn't a dangerous one first? My son identifies the spider, (or tries to) and we make a decision based on type and size before deciding who and how we will kill it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM

They described it to me. It was a tiny thing and in this region we don't get very many dangerous spiders. I believe the only dangerous one we can get is the brown recluse, but they are very rare here. The spider they described was definitely not a brown recluse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh did you at least make sure that the spider wasn't a dangerous one first? My son identifies the spider, (or tries to) and we make a decision based on type and size before deciding who and how we will kill it.

JNLmomme09
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Super mom hope you didn't trip over your cape
LeahJ
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Awesome! Dd didn't want dinner tonight. I told her to go make her own, so she made a sandwich. She just turned seven. ;)
GleekingOut
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Oh good. In that case go for it. Didn't mean to hit anon btw. In Australia we have a lot of dangerous spiders and my 21yo still refuses to kill them. She's scared of any spider bigger than a large button and that is bigger than a daddy long legs. She'll vacuum them up though

Quoting Anonymous:

They described it to me. It was a tiny thing and in this region we don't get very many dangerous spiders. I believe the only dangerous one we can get is the brown recluse, but they are very rare here. The spider they described was definitely not a brown recluse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Quoting LeahJ:

Awesome! Dd didn't want dinner tonight. I told her to go make her own, so she made a sandwich. She just turned seven. ;)

I do that too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)