Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My neighbor implied that African Americans are neater/cleaner than white people

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies

Or at least, I think that's what she meant.  I don't know, I'm kind of confused.  I don't know her very well but she came over and asked me and my son to help her with something.  It obviously was a job for more than one person and she was home alone, so it didn't bother me to go help her.  She and I are both white.  We were moving a swing from her front yard to her back.  After we were done, she explained that her boyfriend would be glad it was out of the front yard.  I said, "Oh, he didn't like it in the front yard?"  She replied, "Well, he's African American and so he thinks it makes the yard looked cluttered and he doesn't like it looking cluttered." 

Am I the only one confused by that statement?  The only thing I can figure is that she was trying to say that African Americans are more concerned by the outward appearance of their home than whites or other races?  I don't know.  The thought had never occurred to me before. 

So do you think she was full of it or do you think it's true?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandyns87
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I've heard that one before. People say racist things in front of me, and assume I won't get offended since I'm only part of the race. Cleanliness and race have no correlation.

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
9 moms liked this
The statement doesn't make any sense to me.

I've seen black folk whose yards looked like Sanford & Son.

I've seen white folk whose yards looked like Sanford & Son.

I've seen Latino folk whose yards look like Sanford & Son.

And the reverse for all. Every race has clean, and not so clean, folk.
livelaughlov26
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM
That was a weird statement.
briellesmomma
by Velvet on May. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Race had nothing to do with anything. It was just his personal preference.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
The color of your skin doesn't make you more organized clean or concerned with outward appearance
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Ugh they are not cleaner. And white people are worse right about that.
TattedReader
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
lol well maybe she meant having stuff cluttered in the front yard makes it look like white trash and so obviously an African American would not like that..but beats the shit out of me, maybe she's socially dumb and was just trying to slip it to you that her marriage was interracial and she was feeling out your opinion and failed lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Having a lot of stuff in the front yard is vaguely indicative of white trashiness. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

people.can.be.so.dumb.

RoseBlossom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

all i know is that my mexican aunt who was married to a black/white man had plastic on her couches and we werent allowed to sit on them, and if we touched her car God forbid we got a fingerprint on it, and they always make sure they never scuff their shoes, and sometimes they still wear the tags on their clothes. thats all i know about that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN