Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grammer nazis I need help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Lol the title was on purpose. 

I really do need help being able to distinguish when you use "then" vs "than" and when you use "effect" vs "effect" 

I am pretty stupid when it comes to grammar so please be nice and help me understand

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
4 moms liked this
Then is used to put something in order - "I washed the dishes. THEN I swept the floor."

Than is used when you are talking about choosing between things - "I'd rather eat vegetables THAN eat meat."

LunieLoopen
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Then is time related. Ex: We went to the store, and THEN we went to a movie. Than is a comparison. Ex: I love my red sofa more THAN my orange foot stool.

Effect and Affect are harder. Affect is a verb, so it will only be used as a verb. Ex: The homework positively AFFECTED Joe's grades. Effect is generally used as a noun (though it technically can be used as a verb, too) and mostly means the result of something. Ex: What EFFECT does illteracy have on young children?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I don't understand effect or affect either :(

mamabearjkda
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Then refers to something such as "And then we went to the store" Than refers to "I would rather have my head cut open than EVER have to deal with my stupid ex again" Hope that helps a bit :)

tardistraveller

tardistraveller

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I get this one and this is easy for me it is the other ones that get me and I just go with what sounds bet in my head lol 

Quoting tardistraveller:

KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Affect is a verb that means to cause something.
Effect is a noun that IS the cause of something.

Sorry, didn't read the last part. =/
tardistraveller
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Sorry I gave you the wrong one

Quoting Anonymous:

I get this one and this is easy for me it is the other ones that get me and I just go with what sounds bet in my head lol 

Quoting tardistraveller:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

A LITTLE TRICK TO SPOT 'EFFECT'

The word effect has several meanings. It can mean outcome, consequence or appearance. Try using one of these instead of effect. If the sentence still makes sense, then effect is almost certainly correct.
(This trick works because effect is a noun, just like the words outcome, consequence and appearance. )

A LITTLE TRICK TO SPOT 'AFFECT'

Try using the verb 'to transform' (in its various forms; e.g., transforming, transformed, transforms) instead of affect. If the sentence still makes sense, then affect is almost certainly correct. However, if you find yourself using transformation then you should be using effect, because both are nouns.
(This trick works because 'to transform' is a verb, just like 'to affect'. )
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)