Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

to all the mommas hatin on the junk food

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
ive been reading a lot of anti junk food stuff on this site.
just curious what you all usually do for snacks or munchies
how about a healthy snack idea post. list some favorites in your house please
Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Replies (81-90):
RobinBright
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Raw veggies are available all day in our house, more controlled amounts of fresh fruit, cheese, yogurt, peanut butter on apples/celery....

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Quoting lovemyfriend:

What is summer porridge?

Quoting sheramom4:

I have a variety of snacks available. Everything from fresh fruit and veggies, hummus, string cheese, yogurt and summer porridge to fruit snacks, pudding cups and individually packed chips. Plus Hot Pockets and Muffin Tops. Different days the kids want different things or a combination of healthy and junk.

Our favorite healthy snacks are hummus, smoothies made with fruit and Greek Frozen Yogurt, summer porridge, and fruit and veggie trays.

Here is the link to the one I use:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

It's Oats, Greek Yogurt, fruit and other things that you refrigerate in Mason Jars. The kids love it for breakfast and snacks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, unless you're making all of those things from scratch you might as well let them have the snack cakes and pop tarts.

Quoting thegoodsied76:

This is typical of what you will find in our home

We keep a snack cabinet:
Dried friuts and nuts
Trail mix
Granola
Fruit leather
Wheat thins
Instant oatmeal
Graham crackers

We have a fruit bowl that the kids know is never off limits

Refridgerated items:
String cheese
Cheese curds
Yogurt
Grapes

Things not allowed:
Potato chips, snack cakes, candy bars, pop tarts, fruit snacks

soccermomma72
by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I do fruits and veggies and I will let them dip it in peanut butter. We also provide nuts and popcorn...no not the microwave kind I actually pop it myself like my Mom did! You can do lots of things with fruit to make it look tasty and fun!

Ants on a log is peanut butter on celery and then raisins on top! I freeze watermelon or other melons in ice cube trays and then pop in toothpicks...they love that!

ccnstanczak
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

waiting for someone to post their homemade mac n cheese recipe.eating

Kitschy
by on May. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I eat apples and cheese pretty often. Or flaxseed crackers and veggie spread. I'm not a big snacker though.

BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I do, but I make it myself. I think it tastes better than the boxed kind.

My dd likes kale chips, and oatmeal bars to snack on. She's 2.

Quoting PikachuLuver:

The ladies who said they would never ever feed their kids mac and cheese are just straight out lying....or crazy? Just trying to make themselves sound good to complete strangers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on May. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM
That sounds really good

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting lovemyfriend:

What is summer porridge?

Quoting sheramom4:

I have a variety of snacks available. Everything from fresh fruit and veggies, hummus, string cheese, yogurt and summer porridge to fruit snacks, pudding cups and individually packed chips. Plus Hot Pockets and Muffin Tops. Different days the kids want different things or a combination of healthy and junk.

Our favorite healthy snacks are hummus, smoothies made with fruit and Greek Frozen Yogurt, summer porridge, and fruit and veggie trays.

It's Oats, Greek Yogurt, fruit and other things that you refrigerate in Mason Jars. The kids love it for breakfast and snacks.

soccermomma72
by on May. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I make my own sauce first starting with the base: butter and flour then I add cream and some rice milk. Once I have the sauce the consistency I like I add spices and then pour it over the noodles while adding shredded cheese. I do not make it often because it is very rich and my kids are not big fans of Mac and Cheese!

Quoting ccnstanczak:

waiting for someone to post their homemade mac n cheese recipe.eating

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

That sounds really good

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting lovemyfriend:

What is summer porridge?

Quoting sheramom4:

It is so good and easy to make. My 9 year old helps me all the time. We like the applesauce one and the raspberry vanilla especially.

I use the recipes on the link as an idea and then I play with them to fit our tastes. The kids like more fruit than what the recipes call for, so I usually add a touch more milk (we use almond) because the extra fruit makes it thicker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN