Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do people get away with paying basically nothing for baby stuff?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 163 Replies

I posted a while back that I added up the cost of what our baby stuff would cost and people told me that's way too much and they only spent $500... Well how the heck did you do that? I'm assuming these people had family to help them out correct? We literally have to buy every item ourselves ( which is fine we can afford it), the little bit or family we do have won't help with anything and we aren't able to have a shower. I have. A bunch of items I have already bought used, high chair, bouncer, toys, walker, boppy, bumbo, clothes, glider and baby bath. 

I still have to buy a crib, dresser, crib mattress, changing table, play yard, swing and a breast pump. Not to mention all of the small items we will still need. But those large items are going to cost around $1400 combined. I haven't been able to find the rest of the items used around here and it's getting close so we have to get to buying.

baby stuff is sure expensive!!

ETA: this is our second baby we didn't think we were having any more ( its been a few years since our first was born) so we sold everything. Everything I'm getting that people are calling unnecessary are all things I used with my DD. they may not be necessary but we got good use out of those items, they never sat around. I wouldn't buy something unless I thought I needed it. The glider I already had and did use with DD as well. Also I'm not going to buy a $100 crib that's going to fall apart or be a hazard, we used our crib for quite sometime and it was a convertible crib and its now a full sized bed for DD. I feel it's worth it to spend a little more on that because it will be used long term. 

Also everyone is saying I don't need a walker or bumbo, no I don't "need" them but I sure used them last time and both I got used for $5 each. I think alot of people didn't fully read what I wrote. Also I got the high chair for $20. The bouncer was brand new in box and It cost me $10. I feel the play yard is necessary, we used it in our room in leui of a bassinet. After that I used it a ton as well. I bought what I could find used at yard sales and through friends the rest I'm just going to by, like I said we can more than afford it. I was just trying to figure out how people were able to get away without spending hardly anything.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this
Yard sales.
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I had a shower with my first and really got everything that I needed and reused it all for baby #2. I admit I was very lucky.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

yard sales, hand-me-downs, used stores.

adhaodd1child
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Not buying new stuff. I brought all my stuff second hand between yard sales and craigslist I spectator $200 bucks for his stuff once he was done sold it or traded it for other things I needed.

Babies don't need brand new stuff.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yard sales.

That where I got the rest of the used stuff. Haven't been able to find the rest of what I need. Some things your not supposed to buy used like a breast pump and mattress 

sahmw2010
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Yard sales, coupons. Baby showers.
Lovebugbaby
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I have a 'SIL' who scored almost everything from yard sales. She spent about 400 for EVERYTHING.

im not that thrifty, or that willing, there are domes things I just won't buy second hand. 

Have you checked out Craigslist? Sometimes people have baby items for sale that have hardly been used. Good luck!

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My DH and I threw an amazing party for our friends and the price of admission was a box of diapers... Best idea we've EVER come up with.

hp2011
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Not everyone buys all of that. my friend just bought a crib and a high chair and some toys.

Idk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Quoting adhaodd1child:

Not buying new stuff. I brought all my stuff second hand between yard sales and craigslist I spectator $200 bucks for his stuff once he was done sold it or traded it for other things I needed.

Babies don't need brand new stuff.

I'm aware of that, half of what I've bought is used. I haven't been able to find the rest of what I need. Time is running out do t have time to wait for the possibility of something showing up on Craigslist or yard sale

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN