Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mad at my grown child for making bad parenting choice. EDIT!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 333 Replies
2 moms liked this

EDIT ---  My DD has always been extremely against corporal punishment for children. She is a Psyche major and as recently as March spoke about her stance against spanking.

I am concerned for my Daughter. I am worried that her DH is to controlling and I want to be sure she feels and is safe. I also want to know that she truly agrees with the latest choices shes made ( not just spanking also a couple others like quitting her job which she LOVED)

My DD was not upset by me talking to her but she did seem uncomfortable ( her DH was there) so I will speak to her again.

My daughter brought my grandson over for a visit , which is something that happens maybe five times a year. She lives a bit far . I also go to her home to visit about the same amount yearly . I wish they were closer. Maybe when I retire I'll move closer to them. Anyway , My grandson kept playing rough in the living room with his cousin. My daughter told him to stop and to play in the TV room ( large carpeted finished basement ) maybe twice she did that . Well he did it again and knocked over a vase which didn't break just fell to the floor. My DD got very mad and spanked him three times on his rear end. I was livid , still am. I never spanked her and she always said she wouldn't spank either. She says that Billy (her dh) and her talked about it and decided that its what they will do because the grandson is so "hard headed and never listens" well this is a bunch of malarkey ! He's a normal active four year old ! Hes more then capable of listening but he was overly excited. She didn't even try to take him into the tv/play room or give him a moment in time out to calm down. I just know this is all Billy since he believes spanking is good parenting and what god wanted ( don't ask its all ridiculous) He's a lazy parent and I really think he gets jealous if my daughters spending time with GS even if its to give him a time out or to feed him . I tried to talk with her about this but she says shes firm on her agreement with Billy. My grandson looked heart broken and afraid. To just announce its discipline time and see him bend over made me nauseous. I am very upset about this and plan on talking to her more about it. Any thoughts? I really just needed to vent I think.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirdsladie27
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
11 moms liked this
While its your grandchild, sadly you'll have to MYOB.
quinnsmom715
by Donna on May. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

this is not going to end well..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
30 moms liked this

I think you are being an ass.  The child is hers, she wasn't abusing him, and she can choose to parent how she wants.  Maybe she feels you've made mistakes she won't repeat.  Ever thought about that?

Rosesandlilys
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
8 moms liked this

You are being ridiculous. Respect your daughters choice to parent as she wishes, unless there is abuse going on (and spanking is NOT abuse, no matter what your opinion is on it) keep out of it. Speaking as a mom of a 5 year old who still LIVES with her parents, they know they are more than welcome to help me parent  how I see fit, but the moment they overstep and judge my parenting choices, I am done.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this

Hugs that would upset me too. sadly their child they make the decisions on how to raise him. I am totally against spanking. I would try to step in before it got to the point they are going to spank . Walk away grandma. Its really all you can do. If you keep at it she will bring him around even less.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
7 moms liked this

I do not believe that my child stops being my business once she's grown and I don't believe I have no business when it comes to my grandson either. I have every right to voice my concern to my DD and to continue to discuss things with her. I do have boundaries but I don't think discussion over steps them. 

Quoting jbirdsladie27:

While its your grandchild, sadly you'll have to MYOB.

Nicki1995
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
This. You said that she told him twice and then spanked. I don't spank, but what she did wasnt out of line imo

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you are being an ass.  The child is hers, she wasn't abusing him, and she can choose to parent how she wants.  Maybe she feels you've made mistakes she won't repeat.  Ever thought about that?

Kimmiky
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM
11 moms liked this
You probably won't receive nice comments here but I'll try to be nice.
If I asked my four year old twice to take his rough housing into another room and he didn't then I'd spank him too. I don't let my kids go crazy in my own home I'm certainly not going to let them in someone else's house.
Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

What was ridiculous in the OP? She was upset by it , she has a right to not agree with spanking a child. She didn't say a word about it being abuse , she didn't threaten to call CPS and it was her house. 

Quoting Rosesandlilys:

You are being ridiculous. Respect your daughters choice to parent as she wishes, unless there is abuse going on (and spanking is NOT abuse, no matter what your opinion is on it) keep out of it. Speaking as a mom of a 5 year old who still LIVES with her parents, they know they are more than welcome to help me parent  how I see fit, but the moment they overstep and judge my parenting choices, I am done.

Boo.
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Doubt she's going to listen to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)