Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Making Meal Plans is Stupid!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I plan my meals. A month at a time actually. This way I can go to the store and know EXACTLY what I need to buy and when to use it. The weekly plans get hung on the fridge so I know what to cook DD for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Well, DS just started on Gerber 1st foods, about a month ago. He's up to five different foods (3 veggies, two fruits) and actually eats A LOT. His doctor said though, that since he shows that he's no longer hungry by pushing away the spoon there's nothing to be worried about and if that means feed him two containers, then so be it. He's not overweight so that's not an issue. Well my mom was over yesterday when I pulled ALL of the baby food out of the cupboard, and started stacking it and writing out a baby meal plan for next month so that when I go to the store next Saturday, I will know exactly how many of each to buy. I have over $50 worth of baby food that I bought at the beginning of the month (yes, I planned what I was going to feed him and when to introduce what). Apparently it's disgusting that I have that much food and it's CRAZY and STUPID to buy that much baby food at once. When I told her I do that with all my other food (minus things that I need fresh, like Milk or fruits and veggies) she got this appalled look on her face, raised her hands in the air and yelled "I raised a freaking idiot" as she walked out the door. Is this really as stupid as she says it is or is she overreacting?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Quoting mommysangelface:

no its a blender!

lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Does it make squishy sounds when you mush up the food? Seriously, I tried making him banana's once and the sound about made me puke. I don't know why but the weridest things have been making my stomach turn lately.

Quoting mommysangelface:

girl get the baby bullet!

it will be so much cheaper and you can freeze the left overs!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

You're awesome. 

illinoismommy83
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Is this your first child? If your baby is on target for motor skills your child will be on table foods before you know it. You will end up giving away 100 jars of baby food.

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

thank you!

lol

i got mine as a gift and omg i LOVED IT!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mommysangelface:

no its a blender!

lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Does it make squishy sounds when you mush up the food? Seriously, I tried making him banana's once and the sound about made me puke. I don't know why but the weridest things have been making my stomach turn lately.

Quoting mommysangelface:

girl get the baby bullet!

it will be so much cheaper and you can freeze the left overs!

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Wow your mom called you an idiot awesome mom you got there. I think she is over reacting lots of people have meal plans and there is nothing wrong with that. When I started my babies on baby food I didnt just give them all different kinds I did one at a time to make sure there wasnt going to be an allergic reaction. $50 worth seems like a bit much but then again if your baby is eating two full jars at each meal probably not that much, its been a 4 years since I have bought baby food so I dont know how much it is now LOL. I plan weekly meals not monthly but I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm a tattooed, piercing,  fresh eating, animal loving, free spirited, sort of helicopter, FF, CIO, circumcision, vax, pro-life, anti flu shot, non co sleeping, 3LO's, early potty training, snuggling is the best, video gaming, limited tv watching, natural remedies, natural health, Jesus is my home boy, church going, educated, writer, artist, photography, sarcastic kind of mom!

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I don't think this is stupid. It would never work for me though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I plan my meals by the week and I also got a shit load of baby food at a time. Once a month baby food went on sale for 75 cents so I save A LOT of money buying it in bulk. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
That is a great idea! I just thought if you were trying to save, you could cut back a bit on the jarred food. If you ran out by the end of the month, you could always puree whatever you are eating!

Quoting Anonymous:

I only get money once a month. My DF is in the military and sends money at the beginning of each month. Therefore, it's easier for me to just buy what I think I'm going to need. If I don't end up using it all, then I don't end up using it all. It's no big deal. If I end up with a surplus of unused baby food, I can always take it to the homeless family shelter here in town. I'm sure some of those women would love to get some food for their babies.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is so much easier to meal plan! I wish I could do it for the whole month...I just do a week at a time. However, I wouldn't stock up on that much baby food. Both my kiddos suddenly refused to eat baby food, and would only eat soft solids. With my first, I had juststocked up, and ended up giving away about $50 worth of food. With my second I didn't keep so much aonce, so I didn't have as much to give away. Also, if he's eating so much purees, have you tried soft solids?

zoo003
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Not stupid at all.  I make meal plans as well (2 weeks instead of a month though).  Your mom is overreacting.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on May. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM

she is overreacting. My husband is the exact same way. He thinks you end up spending more money by meal planning and gets pissed everytime I try to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)