Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tell me please! How do you keep your grocery budget low??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
Alright, ladies! What are your best, tried and true methods and meals to keep your grocery budget extra low?

I am on unpaid maternity leave (ds is one week old). Due to a couple large bills that of course came upon us when we least expected it, I need to make sure we don't go above $75(max) a week for the month of June and July (300/month, including household items) I know that's actually an amount many families stick to already. Usually I budget around $500-$600 a month for groceries and all household needs (cleaners, paper products, dog food, etc etc). That includes a stock up trip to Costco where I usually buy meat for the month and freeze it.

I've backed off couponing over the past few months but will be able to keep up with it a bit better (not too well though with a newborn!). I live in Massachusetts so the prices are fairly high. Aldi is 25 minutes away and not worth the drive. Farmer's markets aren't open yet and are even more expensive than the stores.

We are now a family of 5, and both my newborn and my 20 month old are breastfeeding (toddler only nurses at nap and bed times). We are not on WIC or FS (not knocking them, just sharing the info). I really really don't want to have to dip into savings!!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Unm. Besides the fact that the comisarry is cheaper than walmart, we use coupons, doesnt have to be a bame brand item. And we actually buy "family packs" of meat. And even with the 4 of us we still get 2 meals out of the packs. And if we bought 2 packs of the same thing, it ended up costing more in the long run then buying a family pack
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I stock up on good sales!
I use coupons, but not to the extent of extreme couponers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Coupons, buying the store brand instead of name brands, cooking from scratch, and buying things in bulk and freezing them.

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM
I have a garden, no processed foods and cook from scratch. Saves me a fortune!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I would say couponing -- shopping around -- check out your local stores and what they are offering for sales that week.  Then if you can find a coupon to match it, even better!  Also, stock up when you see a good sale - but only if it keeps you in your budget to begin with. 

When you get towards the end of the month if you are running low on $$ - do a "clean out the kitchen" week or two.  Categorize exactly what you DO have in your kitchen - plan your meals around what is left and buy only the bare minimum needed to make said meals.

Meatless Mondays.....

Make out a meal plan - it does not have to be set day-by-day, but decide how many nights that week you have to cook... figure out how many meals you will need and pick up what you need for those meals.  You don't have to stick to a day-by-day plan if you already have eveything in your house that you need to make whatever meals you laid out for the week.

Hope that helps!

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Coupon, shop based on sales and make a menu for the week so you don't get things you don't need.

catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Tackling the Grocery Budget    (this is not my blog, btw) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Check out www.couponmom.com

You can do a state-by-state store and coupon search- and they will list where you can find the coupons OR where you can print them off.  It will also tell you your savings VS how much you are spending.  I find it takes a lot of the guess work out of it for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Are you close to Market Basket? Everything except meat is dirt cheap there. Meat, go to stop and shop when they mark down meat and buy it then and freeze.

The market basket brand items are good and there prices are the best I've found in mass. Most of the prices are the same as Aldi, so that's cheap!
Caryss_mommy
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Coupons.com! Check it out! I spent $$50 at the store night before last

and saved $13 with coupons from their site! Actually, I will post my receipt for you!

If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.

SCARS remind us of where we've BEEN but they don't have to dictate where we're GOING.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN