Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did your kids do this?

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 38 Replies

My dd is 6 and atm she's in the kitchen making her own pb&j sandwich. I'm proud of her for being able to but she wouldn't know how if it wasn't for my dh. It's not that I don't think she's capable of doing things, I just don't think about teaching her. I'm a SAHM and I do most things around the house because I feel like that's my job. Her responsibilities are keeping her room clean and making sure her dirty clothes get put in the hamper. She also gets her own snacks most of the time . Dh joked about making her own lunches for school but I enjoy doing that so I don't let her. She's an only child and we are trying our best to keep her from being a spoiled princess. I want to make sure I'm not babying her So....

How old were your kids when they started having chores and making their own food? 

by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

At 6 my kids could make their own sandwiches.

momma0ffive
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

my nine year old can cook ofr than one dish and has made dinner a few times... these are life skills they are going to need so the earlier they learn the better

my 5 yo just started making his own sandwiches and having chores

JessM311
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Did you let them make anything else at that age?

Quoting 4kids4tara:

chocolat-smiles
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM
My 9 y/o can make his own breakfast ( which he does on weekends) and grab a snack. He can also make himself a sandwich. His chores are keeping his room clean and taking out the garbage.
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Quoting JessM311:

Did you let them make anything else at that age?

Quoting 4kids4tara:

With supervision I let them try to make pretty much anything.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM
She has had little chores since she could stand. She has alway"helped" me and I plan to do the same with DS.
She is 5 and keeps he toys picked up, puts laundry in basket, helps me fold, sweeps, dusts, can make sandwiches. And random little things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM

5 for making her own sandwiches and 4 for cleaning up her room and messes.

Stephd710
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
My two year olds have chores. They put dirty clothes in the hamper, pick up their rooms, and feed the dog.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM
My oldest first made a full meal at age 4. I did the hot bits and he used some stuff from boxes like a pop can of biscuits but he made strawberry lemonade from scratch too. He's seven now and can make pizza from scratch as well as other simpler dishes.
GhettoKoolAide
by Nuggy's Cult Mistres on May. 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM
My son is 18 months old and has "chores".

He helps me put the pots and pans away.

He picks up his room

He helps me clean ie sweeping ( I bought him his own little broom) and dusting.

I was his age when I started having responsibilities. I was 3 with a chore chart an could make my sandwich. I did that because it was fun. I was allowed to make my lunch 2x a week if I wanted.

I could also cook a full meal by the time I was 11.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured