Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you allow these in your home??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

GMO's that is ( genetically engineered foods). I don't, it doesn't always have to be organic but it does have to be non-gmo in order for me to buy it. I refuse to use my children as guinea pigs in finding out what this stuff actually does to our bodies. Did you know GMO's are banned in most other country's?. Our cancer rate is also much higher as well. Most popular name brand foods are GMO.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (261-266):
harehelper
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Well, I wasn't really advocating not eating anymore, LOL. Yes, there are things at the store (besides soymilk) that are non-GMO. I know there has been a list of approved non-GMO brands posted in this thread, that makes shopping that way easier. Sometimes you won't be able to get a certain item in a non-GMO form, but even avoiding some of them is good, you know?

Quoting Kimmiky:

So out of all the things at the grocery store we can have soy milk?
I think I'll just continue eating lol.

Quoting harehelper:

Pretty much anything with corn or soy in it is GMO. There are a very few that aren't, like I know Silk soymilk is non-GMO. At this point, if a product is non-GMO, it will probably say so on the label.

Quoting Kimmiky:

I don't know how to differentiate

harehelper
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Hmmm, ok. I fully understand and respect your interest in the welfare of the animals, but I am not sure why you are making the connection between organic and inhumane? You just have to judge humane treatment of the animals on a farm-by-farm basis, go see for yourself how they are treated before you buy anything. And if you see something that you think is not humane, make sure you ask the farmer what is going on and why.

Quoting momof2girls220:

even if the meat is organic, the animals still really aren't treated well.

Quoting harehelper:

Out of curiosity, why is that?

Quoting momof2girls220:

organic food is a good alternative, i would never buy organic meats just on basic principle though.

and in general i really don't know anything about GMOs

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

GMOs are in practically everything, including produce.  Most states don't require food companies to label if they use them so avoiding them takes a great deal of effort and research.  I admit we have far too much of them as well, because we can't afford organic right now so I don't blame you for having them, I just thought your attitude about it was a bit ignorant. The reason the food companies get away with this crap is because too many  people in this country care more about what tastes good and is convenient than what is actually in the food they're eating.  That attitude needs to change or these evil corporations will continue pumping us full of poisons. 

Quoting momof2girls220:

when that isn't the only thing i feed my kids, yeah.

if its all they are eating i would be concerned

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Even if it might give them cancer in 30 years because no one really knows what this shit will do to people in the long run?  Nice...

Quoting momof2girls220:

i buy what my kids eat so i don't really care what anyone thinks

momof2girls220
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

i'm a vegetarian anyways but my kids and husband are meat eaters. mass produced meat is generally not from an animal that led a happy life or had a painless death

Quoting harehelper:

Hmmm, ok. I fully understand and respect your interest in the welfare of the animals, but I am not sure why you are making the connection between organic and inhumane? You just have to judge humane treatment of the animals on a farm-by-farm basis, go see for yourself how they are treated before you buy anything. And if you see something that you think is not humane, make sure you ask the farmer what is going on and why.

Quoting momof2girls220:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting momof2girls220:

organic food is a good alternative, i would never buy organic meats just on basic principle though.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

GMOs are in practically everything, including produce.  Most states don't require food companies to label if they use them so avoiding them takes a great deal of effort and research.  I admit we have far too much of them as well, because we can't afford organic right now so I don't blame you for having them, I just thought your attitude about it was a bit ignorant. The reason the food companies get away with this crap is because too many  people in this country care more about what tastes good and is convenient than what is actually in the food they're eating.  That attitude needs to change or these evil corporations will continue pumping us full of poisons. 

Quoting momof2girls220:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Even if it might give them cancer in 30 years because no one really knows what this shit will do to people in the long run?  Nice...

Quoting momof2girls220:

lga1965
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/monsanto.asp

This list is fake. Read Snopes,please.

None of these companies are owned by Monsanto.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=74271&p=irol-irhome

Here is information about General Mills , one of the companies on the fake list.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Fair enough.

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

When and if I arrive at that place, I will deal with it then. Until then I will live life.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Right.

You only live once.

I you only get this one life, It's better not to have to live it in a hospital bed, watching your children deal with cancer or diabetes.

For whatever reason people REFUSE to care unless they are suffering so much they can't handle it anymore.

Don't let it get to that point.

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

I eat alot of what is on that list. So what. You only live once and I'm going to enjoy the food I eat, and not let the idea of my food being messed with and such bother me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I've never heard of this before. What foods have gmo's in them?

Pretty much all name brand company's. here is a list of verified company's that do.

Godgaveme4
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM
We eat what we like...in moderation.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. I could be wrong I guess, but I had always supposed that animals raised organically were a lot less mass produced, though. At any rate, if the fact that your husband and kids are eating mass produced meat is bothering you, I would encourage you to look around for locally produced, humanely raised meat. Ask around at places like farmer's markets, and look under "farms" or "farming" in the yellow pages. I am just glad that I have the land and the resources to be able to raise my own.

Quoting momof2girls220:

i'm a vegetarian anyways but my kids and husband are meat eaters. mass produced meat is generally not from an animal that led a happy life or had a painless death

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting momof2girls220:

Quoting harehelper:

Quoting momof2girls220:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting momof2girls220:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting momof2girls220:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured