Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you allow these in your home??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

GMO's that is ( genetically engineered foods). I don't, it doesn't always have to be organic but it does have to be non-gmo in order for me to buy it. I refuse to use my children as guinea pigs in finding out what this stuff actually does to our bodies. Did you know GMO's are banned in most other country's?. Our cancer rate is also much higher as well. Most popular name brand foods are GMO.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
PhoenixV
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Yes I do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM
What does she think of GMO's ?

Quoting lovemyfriend:

My sister just graduated with her plant biology doc from Berkeley last week. Our conversations are interesting...
SageAdvice
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this

If your child eats bananas or strawberries or oranges, they are eating GMO foods, with the exception of wild strawberries there are no unmodified left.. All bananas are now  GMO too, people never even noticed when the black seeds in the bananas suddenly disappeared.  Oranges were modified over 50 years ago - better stop drinking orange juice. The list of fruits and vegetables that are now 100% GMO is LONG but I don't want to scare you, so I'll let you do your own research lol

elitish
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
You obviously haven't seen pictures of how they have to wear protective gear to spray the crops - of your food. That you eat.

Quoting lenashark:

Is not nearly as scary as people make it out to be. Genetically modified food is simply as taking out the gene that could cause a disease to infect a crop or give an animal a gene to naturally grow to be on the bigger side, that doesn't mean its some scary gene that makes franken-cows, its the same gene that cows normally produced, its something that been done for centuries, if you want bigger livestock you take the two biggest of your livestock and breed them so their babies will be big, this is just taking out the middle man and giving the animal the tall gene without having to use two large animals. In most cases the genes are natural and occur normally in the animal or plants DNA, they are simply selecting which gene they will inherit. Yes there are some bad types of GMO, but its all about knowing where you buy. I only buy products created without inhumane treatment of animals, I make sure of that, but GMO, I don't care much about.

JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I'm in Louisville, but today was a world wide march and 250 cities around the globe participated!

Quoting Lillymygirl:

Where was this??

Last thing I marched in was an anti-fracking march in Albany , was great!

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Great! Soo many people had/have no idea what non GMO is all about. Lots of people on the streets and yelling from their cars asking what we were doing. We had lots of fliers and things to hand out as we walked. The local news covered it and interviewed the organizer. We had about 400 people walking, all with shirts and signs, one guy even dressed up in the body suit they use to spray the crops! Vendors were there selling non GMO plants, I got some cucumbers and purple bell peppers to add to my garden. Lots of info on healthy living, where to shop and what to buy that's non GMO, how to protest and speak up about it. It was just awesome to get the word out and open peoples' eyes to the evil that Monsanto is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JacksMom1221:

Nope!! Went to a March Against Monsanto today actually!

That's awesome! How was it? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

No we try and stay away from that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

What exactly is a GMO, by definition?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

That's pesticide, not genetic modification.

Quoting elitish:

You obviously haven't seen pictures of how they have to wear protective gear to spray the crops - of your food. That you eat.

Quoting lenashark:

Is not nearly as scary as people make it out to be. Genetically modified food is simply as taking out the gene that could cause a disease to infect a crop or give an animal a gene to naturally grow to be on the bigger side, that doesn't mean its some scary gene that makes franken-cows, its the same gene that cows normally produced, its something that been done for centuries, if you want bigger livestock you take the two biggest of your livestock and breed them so their babies will be big, this is just taking out the middle man and giving the animal the tall gene without having to use two large animals. In most cases the genes are natural and occur normally in the animal or plants DNA, they are simply selecting which gene they will inherit. Yes there are some bad types of GMO, but its all about knowing where you buy. I only buy products created without inhumane treatment of animals, I make sure of that, but GMO, I don't care much about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Holy crap. I knew it must be a lot of brand names but its kind of shocking to see all these brands listed. Not that I'm surprised...its just a longist and there are many that probably aren't listed. Almost 'Nothing' is safe anymore. Not that food from a box is good for anyone, anyways...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I've never heard of this before. What foods have gmo's in them?

Pretty much all name brand company's. here is a list of verified company's that do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM
There's not a single thing on there that I don't own.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MrsWhite101610:

I've never heard of this before. What foods have gmo's in them?

Pretty much all name brand company's. here is a list of verified company's that do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)