Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you allow people to give your kids edit

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 596 Replies
6 moms liked this
Medications? Persciption or OTC?

I have my godson a lot so I have all medications I would need for a two year. Well his grandmother heard his mom and I talking about how I just got him more teething tablets and Motrin. She had a HUGE fit about how no one should ever be allowed to give someone else's kids meds.

I feel like if I trust someone with my kids then They should be able to give them any medications my kids may need.

So how do you feel? Is it ok or not?

Small edit:
I have him 3-5 days a week and over night at least 3 days a week and have since he was 2 weeks old. His daycare calls me before mom. I keep clothes, meds, toys, and everything else he could need here. Her mother is aware of all this and for whatever reason decided to throw a fit.

Ok I keep getting asked why I have him so much so I will add that here. 3-5 days a week was the original plan when he was 2 weeks old. Mom is on and off drugs. Unstable, bounces from man to man, crack house to crack house. I now have him 24/7. She comes once a week or so to see him. She has never taken him to the doctor, she has never cared for him when he was sick, she has picked him up from day 2 or 3 times (he has been there since he was 9 weeks). I get like $200-500 a month (sometimes) from mom to cover cost. Mom gets WIC so I use that she only renews it but I don't think she has ever uses her WIC. I would love to adopt him but I'm currently only asking for guardianship because I'm afraid if I ask for adoption she will take him and run off. This way I can limit her taking him anywhere till she is "better". I would love for her to turn her life around and have him full time but I don't see that happening. Her family has nothing to do with him and his father could be anyone. Hope that clears some things up :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
12 moms liked this
I wouldn't like it....but I very rarely give any kinds of meds at all. I trust a few people to watch my kids, but I expect those people to check with me before giving them anything.
caito
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
14 moms liked this
Absolutely. The only people I trust are family members, and a lot of them are medical professionals. I learned a lot about medicine from them. So yeah, I'd trust them to give her her medicine.
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I would expect them to ask me first.

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this
I can understand that and everything has been OKed by mom. I just couldn't believe her mom and her fit.

Quoting almondpigeon:

I wouldn't like it....but I very rarely give any kinds of meds at all. I trust a few people to watch my kids, but I expect those people to check with me before giving them anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilpep100
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
If my kids need benadryl or motrin, thrn yes, I would ask my friend to give it if I weren't there.
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
So if you have approved of all meds then you would have no issue with it?

Quoting Jessy613:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
6 moms liked this

if my grandma had him for the day and gave him something? no big whoop.

a girlfriend babysitting for the day, I would expect her to call me first and make sure.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:16 AM
9 moms liked this
Yeah, if mom has cleared it, grandma needs,to ease up.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

I can understand that and everything has been OKed by mom. I just couldn't believe her mom and her fit.

Quoting almondpigeon:

christina0607
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I do....but I would question and loose trust in someone wanting to give so much for simple teething. 

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Every time? I have him 3-5 days a week and normally over night at least 3 days a week since he was 2 weeks old. I see him more then his own mom. I mean his day care calls me when they need something not his mom.

Quoting Jessy613:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)