Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you allow people to give your kids edit

Posted by   + Show Post
Medications? Persciption or OTC?

I have my godson a lot so I have all medications I would need for a two year. Well his grandmother heard his mom and I talking about how I just got him more teething tablets and Motrin. She had a HUGE fit about how no one should ever be allowed to give someone else's kids meds.

I feel like if I trust someone with my kids then They should be able to give them any medications my kids may need.

So how do you feel? Is it ok or not?

Small edit:
I have him 3-5 days a week and over night at least 3 days a week and have since he was 2 weeks old. His daycare calls me before mom. I keep clothes, meds, toys, and everything else he could need here. Her mother is aware of all this and for whatever reason decided to throw a fit.

Ok I keep getting asked why I have him so much so I will add that here. 3-5 days a week was the original plan when he was 2 weeks old. Mom is on and off drugs. Unstable, bounces from man to man, crack house to crack house. I now have him 24/7. She comes once a week or so to see him. She has never taken him to the doctor, she has never cared for him when he was sick, she has picked him up from day 2 or 3 times (he has been there since he was 9 weeks). I get like $200-500 a month (sometimes) from mom to cover cost. Mom gets WIC so I use that she only renews it but I don't think she has ever uses her WIC. I would love to adopt him but I'm currently only asking for guardianship because I'm afraid if I ask for adoption she will take him and run off. This way I can limit her taking him anywhere till she is "better". I would love for her to turn her life around and have him full time but I don't see that happening. Her family has nothing to do with him and his father could be anyone. Hope that clears some things up :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
christina0607
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Motrin is very hard on a persons stomach and can cause ulcers with prolonged use....it should be used very sparingly even in adults. 

But I'm not a medicater. I don't medicate for every little fever. 

Quoting momoftwo0406:

It's not all just for teething I just needed to replace those to things at the same time. I don't think Morton and teething tablets are out of line for teething. This kid always runs fevers when his teeth bother him.

Quoting christina0607:

Well I do....but I would question and loose trust in someone wanting to give so much for simple teething. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Since my son needs meds to live, yes, someone else gives him meds.
ajdahd13
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

If I trust them enough to watch my kids, I obviously trust their judgements, so no I don't mind if they give my kids meds. There are a lot of control freak moms on here. 

ajdahd13
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you sure you're not confusing Motrin with aspirin? 

Quoting christina0607:

Motrin is very hard on a persons stomach and can cause ulcers with prolonged use....it should be used very sparingly even in adults. 

But I'm not a medicater. I don't medicate for every little fever. 

Quoting momoftwo0406:

It's not all just for teething I just needed to replace those to things at the same time. I don't think Morton and teething tablets are out of line for teething. This kid always runs fevers when his teeth bother him.

Quoting christina0607:

Well I do....but I would question and loose trust in someone wanting to give so much for simple teething. 

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Only OK if approved by the parents. What if he child is allergic to the medication? My son is allergic to penicillin, for example.
superwoman8977
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

if you have my kids then yep you give them meds I know my babysitter and my family doesnt have to ask me before they give the kids anything when they have them.

iamcafemom83
1 mom liked this
If my kids needed a dose while in the care of someone not me or their dad, I would be fine with it. We only have people we trust watch them, so it's not an issue.
momoftwo0406
He is with me 3-5 days a week and stays the night at least 3 days a week. I have had him as long as 17 days straight. His daycare calls me before they call mom. I can't wait on here to give him anything. Hell half the time she takes what I have and it never comes back or she over uses it when she has him.

Quoting Anonymous:

We rarely use meds so, no I wouldn't want anyone else to "stock up" for my kid. If my child needs meds, they'll get them before or after they're with you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think in your case it is okay. I normally ask that others call me before giving meds like motrin/tylenol because we don't treat for fevers and such. Teething tablets weren't a big deal.

rockinmomto2
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

If I trust a person with my child that much, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But then, I don't have a problem with giving my kids meds if/when they need them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)