Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you allow people to give your kids edit

Posted by   + Show Post
Medications? Persciption or OTC?

I have my godson a lot so I have all medications I would need for a two year. Well his grandmother heard his mom and I talking about how I just got him more teething tablets and Motrin. She had a HUGE fit about how no one should ever be allowed to give someone else's kids meds.

I feel like if I trust someone with my kids then They should be able to give them any medications my kids may need.

So how do you feel? Is it ok or not?

Small edit:
I have him 3-5 days a week and over night at least 3 days a week and have since he was 2 weeks old. His daycare calls me before mom. I keep clothes, meds, toys, and everything else he could need here. Her mother is aware of all this and for whatever reason decided to throw a fit.

Ok I keep getting asked why I have him so much so I will add that here. 3-5 days a week was the original plan when he was 2 weeks old. Mom is on and off drugs. Unstable, bounces from man to man, crack house to crack house. I now have him 24/7. She comes once a week or so to see him. She has never taken him to the doctor, she has never cared for him when he was sick, she has picked him up from day 2 or 3 times (he has been there since he was 9 weeks). I get like $200-500 a month (sometimes) from mom to cover cost. Mom gets WIC so I use that she only renews it but I don't think she has ever uses her WIC. I would love to adopt him but I'm currently only asking for guardianship because I'm afraid if I ask for adoption she will take him and run off. This way I can limit her taking him anywhere till she is "better". I would love for her to turn her life around and have him full time but I don't see that happening. Her family has nothing to do with him and his father could be anyone. Hope that clears some things up :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Replies (591-596):
gordon3
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I would think I should be contacted before anything is given to my children. 

But from your update it sounds like you take care of him more then his mom, saying you have guardianship of him, I guess that makes more sense for you to give him meds as you see fit.

brenatens
by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM
I would be fine with it if I had said ok, and knew the person knew the correct amount of the medication to be given. I have said no to the teething tablets because my pedi said that some children has seizures after taking them. I also avoid medications unless they are really needed.
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
It is only certain ones causing issues. I use a all natural kind that does not have the chemical I'm it. I can't remember for the life of me right now what it was. I don't typically give medication either but I like to always have it on hand just in case :)

Quoting brenatens:

I would be fine with it if I had said ok, and knew the person knew the correct amount of the medication to be given. I have said no to the teething tablets because my pedi said that some children has seizures after taking them. I also avoid medications unless they are really needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kstchr
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

In your case, since you're the main caretaker for him anyway, I'd say the Grandma needs to ease off your case. SHE's not the one caring for him all the time, so she really doesn't have any right to complain imo.  If my kid was just staying overnight at a friend's house, though, I'd expect them to check with me first before giving meds. After all, you never know if they already gave a dose of meds, and you wouldn't want to accidentally double up on meds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jun. 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a good person. I wish I had you in my life. Don't let her treat you like shit.

LilMsSecret
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I see...so sad for the lil one that his mom just basically abandoned him. If u tried to get some kind of guardianship and she does freak out, cant u just show the courts right when u go for the guardianship all that u have done, and how long u have had him? That way if she does freak, its not like she can take him and run if u have it all in place already...I dont know too much about this, my mom had gone to court for full legal custody of my nephew but she had a lawyer so she just went thru him, one thing he did have her do even before they MET was write EVERYTHING down!! When the mom calls, doesnt call, shows up, doesnt show, if u call her for anything...write it all in a journal, just a little note on all the goings on, bc u tend to forget the little things or whatever and that way you have it all in front of you...esp if mom gets worse. I havent been on like since I posted this and havent read up on anything, so If Im repeating something that was covered, Im sorry! Lol! Im heading to bed and signed on to change some email settings and saw this! Lol! Anyway, good luck to u and the lil one! Gd'Night!
Quoting momoftwo0406:

I realize the story sounds odd with the edit. I was not going to give so much info but the same things were coming up in comments so I tried to give more of a back story. Original agreement was 3-5 days a week with him staying up to 3 days a week. That was when he was 2 weeks old. Since he was a few months old and mom started using again I have had him full time. Mom has never had him sick or anything she hasn't had him over night in over a year. He will be 3 in Oct. so I have had him a long time. I set up day care not here, I take him to the doctor, I pay for 95% of everything he needs. Make more sense now?

Quoting LilMsSecret:

At my daycare, any meds my son my need to take, prescribed or OTC, requires written instructions from my son's Dr and signed by me, even if it's teething gel for his gums! But, our situations are completely different and if Gramma is so concerned, why is she not stepping up? When my brother had his issues w substance abuse, my mother went to court and FOUGHT for her grandson, and gained full legal custody bc over her dead body would a non family member take care of her grandchild no matter how much she had to adjust her own lifestyle. And she'd be damned if she would ever had trusted HIS judgement on who to leave his child with. Not to say You shouldn't be trusted, it's great u stepped up when no one else did..?? Im not sure tho, bc ur story changed 2xs and that's a red flag for any mother when it comes to someone having such care over their child,, just sayin'. So, while I commend u for stepping up, I'm a little hesitant to think it's all on the up n up...maybe u could restart ur story w the full truth?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN