Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"no business started in this town lasts long" pic of the building/location** update

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 202 Replies

thats what wanda told me when i went to pick up the loan application yesterday.

i am wanting to open a bar, which can do double duty functioning as a diner by day, in accordance to the new liqueur and gaming laws coming into play at the end of june.

we currently have NO WHERE in our town to gather socially, beit for coffee or beer.

"many have tried and failed, nothing thrives or flourishes in this town"

she basically said (imo) not to even bother because i will just fail.

and now, despite all the positive feedback from the community, all the encouragement and support, i am really doubting myself.

i have done all the work and research needed, i know what my startup costs will be, i know what govt grants are avail to me (wages and operations costs can be covered for the first 6 mo,for instance) i know how much my licensing costs,i have been in contact with all the agencies i need approval from, like.......grrr.........everyone has faith in me, everyone wants a social gathering place.

now i KNOW wanda is friends with gail who owns the old bar, skeeters, which is for sale and has been on the market for awhile.

skeeters is 2 doors down from the building i am considering leasing, wanda says i should lease skeeters,and KNOW the lease there will cost much more than the building i want.

gail, who owned skeeters, gambled all the money from her sales, she even took the money from the vlt lockbox and gambled that too, hence why she had to close.

wanda and gail are gambling buddies, so im not so sure how to take her whole "nothing thrives in this town" line.

the loan i am looking at will be approx $10,000.

i hate debt, and failure is not an option if i do this.

i wasnt even going to say anything to you guys because i know many of you will just tear me to shreds.

dh says he has faith in me and if i want it, to go for it

i am so nervous. what if it fails?

i am looking at the main floor of this building the lease will be no more than $500/mo.

and thats our main street :-) lol i was planning on calling it "the hole in the wall pub & grill"

so, after further discussion with dh and others in the community, i have made my descision regarding the exact nature of the business; tues-sun it will be a cafe from 11am-630pm, thus catching those needing lunch & supper and the coffee crowd in between. fri and sat it will  be open until midnight, mo minors after 7pm, during those hours it will operate as a lounge.

as of this point i am still not sure if i want to have VLT machines or not.

the lease is $300 a mo, this includes all utilities. i am hoping to pay one years lease all at once, $3,600. my liquer license is going to be $350 for the year, food license is about the same, i have a stand up freezer waiting for me, donated by a friend, cocacola or pepsi will supply the cooler if i sell their drinks, and van hautte will supply the coffee machine. 

there will be minimal renovations, and the place already has tables and chairs i can use, and the kitchen is ready to go.

i bet i can open on approx $7,000,if not less

by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vindicated
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM
8 moms liked this

RIDING. BULL.

you wont fail.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
4 moms liked this

No wonder you were so angry at the hillbillies opening the diner.

on-my-grind
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

who is Wanda?

D.O.E.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

i am just looking at this application.....i havent touched it yet.

i have managed many bars and i know what im doing, ofcourse there is always something more to learn, but until wanda started with her "it wont last long" shit i was fully confident......now, i'm not so sure

ChicatSixty
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Go for it! You are looking at a lot of long abd hard hours but if this is something you want to do--do it! And a 10K loan is nothing! Less than a car!

harpsichord
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this
That's Wanda for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britadams10
This is the good life!
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

i think it will do good! people love food and booze!

D.O.E.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM

there is no room for that in this location, nor is there room for a pool table.

however....we have a lot of gamers around here and was considering a big flatscreen and a ps3? i can have some of the more popular games on hand? (at no charge,of course)

Quoting vindicated:

RIDING. BULL.

you wont fail.

D.O.E.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

hours would be 11am-midnight.

and yes, it is a very small loan. if i dont do this i will be working long hours for someone else when my mat leave is done anyways.

Quoting ChicatSixty:

Go for it! You are looking at a lot of long abd hard hours but if this is something you want to do--do it! And a 10K loan is nothing! Less than a car!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

So this place you're looking to open, it's already set up as a diner and a bar?

10 grand doesn't get you far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured