Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I be mad? Would you be?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 30 Replies
This is my SO and my 4 year anniversary and we made plans to spend the weekend in Austin. This would've been our first time to truly celebrate and I was looking forward to it, I even let my son go with a cousin for the weekend so that my SO and I had the entire 3 day weekend to ourselves.

Well Friday, the day we were supposed to leave, he calls me almost in tears because his mom was rushed to the hospital because she stopped breathing and she's still in the hospital an hour and a half away from us.

She also is supposed to have surgery next week to remove some spots on her lungs that they suspect is cancer.

Of course he's scared for his mom, he lost his father in his early 20s and he doesn't want to lose his mom. I totally understand and I'm there for him.

Because of this we cancelled our plans, he instead spent a good majority of the day yesterday and today up at the hospital with his mom. He came home and we cooked a special meal and spent the time playing board games but our vacation was cancelled.

I'm not upset, disappointed yes, but I understand and wouldn't dream of being mad at him for wanting to see his mom.

When I was talking to a friend and telling her what happened she gets upset and tells me he should've gone with me and waited to see his mom when she comes down here for surgery. I was truly surprised at her reaction, would you be upset if you were in my shoes? Or would you have understood why he needed to go see his mom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM
6 moms liked this

I would have understood why he needs to see his mom. No offence but your friend sounds really selfish.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Well she kinda is selfish and that's something I've known about her for years. I did want others opinions though just to see if she was overreacting or if she had some sort of a point.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have understood why he needs to see his mom. No offence but your friend sounds really selfish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on May. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I can't stand my mother-in-law, but I would still not be mad about cancelling our plans under those circumstances.

CafeMom Tickers
AuntieM
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Nope. She's wrong. Mom comes first in this situation.
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I would not have been angry at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karen_29
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Your friend sounds like shes all about her. I would have understood just like he would have if it was my mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

No she doesn't have a point. What if the situation was reversed and it was you in the hospital? I'm sure you would want your child there.

Again, no offence but I don't think I could be friends with someone that selfish.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Well she kinda is selfish and that's something I've known about her for years. I did want others opinions though just to see if she was overreacting or if she had some sort of a point.

Quoting Anonymous:

WendyJR
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
I wouldn't be mad at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM
It's a long distance friend. She lives far far away and we see each other maybe once a year.

Quoting Anonymous:

No she doesn't have a point. What if the situation was reversed and it was you in the hospital? I'm sure you would want your child there.

Again, no offence but I don't think I could be friends with someone that selfish.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

if my guy didn't put his mom first in this situation i'm not sure we could stay together much longer.

there's always time for us, but his mom needed him this weekend and he needed to be there.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN