Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He wants to get a guard Dog....sure I guess?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 100 Replies

My SO wants to get a house when my lease is up, together.

His dad trains the German Shepard K-9 dogs for the local police.  

His current dog will be staying at his dads house but since he is moving with me he wants to get a puppy and help his dad train the puppy wit my son so it doesnt get hostile toward my kid, there is talks of getting 2, but I really feel 2 is excessive.

Reason being, I refuse to let him get a gun for the house, I don't like the idea, I don't want the risk, I won't follow the rules, I'd rather get a tazer gun or something.  

The compromise is the damn dog.

Do you have a trained guard dog for your home? Would you?  These dogs sell for thousands of dollars to the police force, they are trained on command with a Russian dialect, and trained to kill if needed. His current dog is trained to go straight for the neck, idk, sounds too crazy for me.

by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Well there are personal protection dogs, but those dogs would likely let a robber walk right past them, if they aren't told to attack.

i have trained dogs for both. There are two differnt types of training involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

And both by the way are very loyal very gentle loving dogs to the family

Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not want a dog like that. I would much rather get a family dog. I have a pitbull who was never trained like that and he would NEVER hurt a fly unless you try and hurt my 19 month old. You need a loving family dog. if you have a loving family dog he will fight for you ANYDAY

TaughtTot
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Thats why we cant keep his already trained dog, it will be hostile toward me if I go near it unexpectedly.  You cant make any sudden movements around the dog if he doesnt know you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well there are personal protection dogs, but those dogs would likely let a robber walk right past them, if they aren't told to attack.

i have trained dogs for both. There are two differnt types of training involved.

RJC78
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

A dog trained like this will also be very loyal and loving if he's treated right.  IMO, if you're THAT against getting a dog, don't get one.  It won't be fair to anyone involved.

petie1104
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Explain that ANY dog, trained or not, will attack if their family is in danger. Therefore, to the dog, yes, to the training to kill, no. What of your 2 year old hears the command and tells said dog to kill his friend because its a fun word? No, I would not have a trained killer in my home with a child who knows the words it is trained with. My dogs will protect us if necessary. I know this without a doubt, they are trained with simple commands and how to walk on a leash, they don't need any more than that.
TaughtTot
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

NO my son will not be learning attack words, that would be dumb on everybodies end.  He means like basic training with my son there so thedog knows his place in the family.  Like sit, stay, eat, stop eating, retrieve, scent training with my son clothes, with my clothes, with his clothes etc

The violent part will be left to him adn his dad to do alone

Quoting petie1104:

Explain that ANY dog, trained or not, will attack if their family is in danger. Therefore, to the dog, yes, to the training to kill, no. What of your 2 year old hears the command and tells said dog to kill his friend because its a fun word? No, I would not have a trained killer in my home with a child who knows the words it is trained with. My dogs will protect us if necessary. I know this without a doubt, they are trained with simple commands and how to walk on a leash, they don't need any more than that.

petie1104
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
So you already know the dangers of a dog in this type of training. How is your child supposed to have a play date?

Quoting TaughtTot:

Thats why we cant keep his already trained dog, it will be hostile toward me if I go near it unexpectedly.  You cant make any sudden movements around the dog if he doesnt know you.

Quoting Anonymous:

TaughtTot
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I think I just need to work through this.  I have to wrap my mind around why we would need one. 

Quoting RJC78:

A dog trained like this will also be very loyal and loving if he's treated right.  IMO, if you're THAT against getting a dog, don't get one.  It won't be fair to anyone involved.

TaughtTot
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Kennel, he's already looking for homes with a back yard attached to the garage for a kennel to be built on to it.

Quoting petie1104:

So you already know the dangers of a dog in this type of training. How is your child supposed to have a play date?

Quoting TaughtTot:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)