Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Schools should have this form

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 17 Replies
I was filling out my daughters Girl Scout registration and there is always a form for OTC meds. It says "I give permission for my child to be given the otc medicines checked or the generic equivalent" then there is a list of OTC meds like Motrin, midol, benedryl, tums ext I check all except midol.
I think schools should have these at least at the Highschool level and maybe middle school with a quick call to a parent first. It would save so much time both for parents and kids. A few weeks ago my daughter had killer cramps (like couldnt stand up straight bad) she went to the office and they called me. After me going down to the school checking her out giving her 2 Advil and then checking her back in she missed 20 minuets of class (it was theater so not really a big deal) that could have been cut down to 5 mins had she been able to go in say I have cramps I need Advil they check the form to see if i gave consent (which is quick because everything is done on the computer) and gave her some and sent her back to class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyoffour456
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
They do this at all the schools in my district. It saves so much time. With the elementary and daycare/pre k they call me and let me know what they gave my child, when they gave it, and how much they gave.
pce68
by Patti on May. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I agree. I also think they should let girls in high school carry Motrin in their purse and take it when they need it, but they are so afraid of drugs now, that if they catch a kid with even OTC drugs, like Tylenol or Motrin, they can be suspended or expelled. I used to carry OTC meds with me in high school even though it wasn't allowed, but back then I wouldn't have gotten in big trouble if I had gotten caught.

MissMissfit
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My dds school does this

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I know I gave my daughter a bottle of Motrin that she keeps in the bag she Carries to band stuff (outside of school) and the other day she said I should throw that Motrin in my backpack because all my friends have been having bad cramps lately. I told her when I was in school I did carry a small bottle with me but now if she had it at school and have it to friends then she would probably be expelled for distributing drugs or something.

Quoting pce68:

I agree. I also think they should let girls in high school carry Motrin in their purse and take it when they need it, but they are so afraid of drugs now, that if they catch a kid with even OTC drugs, like Tylenol or Motrin, they can be suspended or expelled. I used to carry OTC meds with me in high school even though it wasn't allowed, but back then I wouldn't have gotten in big trouble if I had gotten caught.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

When I was in High school (even elementary) they did that.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I wish out school did I can't even walk into the office and give it to her. I have to check her out and take her to the car then check her back in.

Quoting MissMissfit:

My dds school does this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderstruck11
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I have migraines and the school nurse got a note from my mom that said she could give me any OTC meds.
jmart18255
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

they have this form at in my district as a matter of i have to fill it out every first day of school

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Sadly people are to sensitive about otc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Kids should be able to carry their own medications. I'm so sick of this nanny state of 'maybe they'll share with others'. So?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)