Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grandparent rights

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

My in laws have not seen my DD in over 2 months because of what happened a few months ago... We have offered to meet up with them in a public place and they turn down EVERY opportunity. Apparently, they want to take DH and I to court for visitation. In this state, grandparents do NOT have any rights. So, they can try all they want, but my DD is NOT going to step foot on their property until they're house is stripped and cleaned and they all get treated for mental illnesses. So, they are going to waste $1500 on a lawyer only to find out exactly what I just said!!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
I hope you are sheltering her from all the drama.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Grandparent "rights" should not exist. I feel bad for grandparent who don't get so see the kids because their inlaws hate them or judge them too harshly but I don't believe they have a right to sue.  It's a shame when family bonds break down.

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
They are wasting their time since grandparents have no rights.
NorseGodessMom
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Hugs mama

mommieof38829
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I don't allow any of dh family access to my son. His granny is a traffling old bitch, his daddy is a loser and he don't know where his stupid mom is. They are poor so I don't ever have to deal with that. They wouldn't get visits anyway.
dixiemama25
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

to my knowledge in no state in the union has a grandparent rights law on the books. now i may be wrong but yeah they will lose

MaryCimino
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I take it they are Hoarders, I know the feeling, my mothers one too. I've been estranged from her for years (We just started talking again semi-recently) and when she found out I had kids she started that. Do to the fact that I had drug charges against me in my past it was a fun fight. (They were using those against me saying I was back on drugs) but won none the less. Hang in there and feel free to vent to me anytime you want, I understand...

Anastacia1988
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Grandparents shouldn't have rights
panther79
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM

In some states they do. I think it should be a case by case basis because there are some wonderful grandparents who don't get to see their grandchildren. I totaly get them not seeing the kids if there is an issue with mental illness, physical well being that kind of thing.

My ex MIL only see my oldest DS because of me. His father (exDH) is under the impression that she's trying to take him away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM

They are kind of hoarders, but they are more mentally and emotionally, and sometimes physically abusive. Plus, the house is just NASTY. They have a case open with CPS (BIL SIL and their child live there too) and with the claims they have against them, that are most likely being proven true (this case has been open for over 3 months now) CPS wouldn't even allow my child to be in that house, even just visiting.

Quoting MaryCimino:

I take it they are Hoarders, I know the feeling, my mothers one too. I've been estranged from her for years (We just started talking again semi-recently) and when she found out I had kids she started that. Do to the fact that I had drug charges against me in my past it was a fun fight. (They were using those against me saying I was back on drugs) but won none the less. Hang in there and feel free to vent to me anytime you want, I understand...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN