Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone else raising a tall teenage girl?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 19 Replies

My 14 year old daughter has always been tall for her age. She had a physical the other day and was officially measured at 6 feet tall. Hitting the 6 foot mark has been sort of a mental barrier for her. Saying "6 feet" now when people ask her how tall she is just reminds her even more how much taller she is than everyone else. She towers over her friends and many of her teachers. It's tough on an 8th grade girl!

I'm only 5'7" so it's hard for me to really relate to her anymore. She passed me up when she was 12. She's having trouble fitting into clothes and shoes because she's growing so fast and we've had some major tears over it. It's hard for me to see her so awkward and uncomfortable because she's a truly beautiful and kind-hearted young woman. Anyone have similar experiences?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccarae
by on May. 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I was the tall teenage girl. It helped me to be in something that my height was appreciated like volleyball and basketball.
vindicated
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

i am 5'3 and my 7 year old dd is 4'3 and still growing.

in 2 years, she will be taller than me. i'm expecting her to hit atleast 5'9.

photomom1979
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
My daughter has evened out now but she was 5'6 in fifth grade and towered over everyone. Now she's quite average (she's 17)
PeaceLoveZ
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Sorry I'm short & have a son whose doctor thinks he won't be very tall, I'm no help but here's a BUMP for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I was and am tall im 5"11 and yes its hard finding clothes to fit sometimes. i always had to and still do wear longs and have to wear long shirts but i never really got teased for being tall i just mainly got teased because i could never gain weight plus being tall ppl called me anorexic
cw23bits
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

My DH is 6'10" so that's where she gets it from. It's different for men though because being tall is seen as a good thing. Our son would be overjoyed if he grew as tall as his dad. DD might be 6'3"-6'4" and is worried she'll seem like a freak. I just want her to see being a woman and being 6'4" as a good thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm 5'11 and my dd is 16 and is the same height as me. It's hard to find clothes, especially maternity clothes as they were all high waters in the pants.

The greatest gifts ever given me was by my 5th grade teacher. I was over 5ft tall at age 10, tallest kid in my class. My teacher told me when kids teased me and asked how the weather was up there to spit on their heads and say it was raining. I never did, but he made it okay to be tall.
Due9
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM

How tall is your husband/her father? Just curious.

I was a tall teenager. I know how hard it can be during those self-conscious years. But it gets much better with time.

cw23bits
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

6'10" :)

So she really had no choice in the matter, lol.

Quote:

How tall is your husband/her father? Just curious.

I was a tall teenager. I know how hard it can be during those self-conscious years. But it gets much better with time. 

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I've been 6' tall since I was 11.  I can't offer much, though, because I've always loved being tall.  She'll come around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)