Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Groceries, home life and just full out FRUSTRATION

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am sure we have all been there, money is tight, kids are going absolutely insane, house is tore up and you can only handle so much. Yes, this is the point I am at right now. I am so frustrated because it's 2 weeks til payday and there isn't enough groceries in the house, I have enough for the kids and that is what is important but damn i'm actually pretty hungry. I have lived off coffee now for like a week straight, my kids are fed this makes me happy.

I am frustrated because there is a family reunion of sorts tonight, I don't have a car and my cousin is set to pick me up. Problem, I have no money and where as my parents offered to pay for me I can't in good conscience make them pay, for one they are in about the same shape that I am and two I have a lot of stubborn pride. Though it will be nice to go and get a break from the stress around this house and enjoy a couple hours kid free.

I am at my wits end with everything, I don't know whether I am coming or going and the depression just keeps getting deeper and darker. I have no support system, only thing that keeps me hanging on is my children. Even with their arguing they are still precious to me and I couldn't leave them in a messed up situation.

I honestly for once in my life have no idea what to do. I am usually the one who keeps it together, I figure everything out, I get stuff done and everything usually works fine, not this time around though. I don't know how much more I can possibly handle, I am being looked at to solve the problems of the house. I am trying to be strong for everyone that is here and yet I feel like pulling my hair out and screaming and just giving up.

So, that is my rant for the day, sorry if it seems whiny I am just frustrated and have no one to vent to. And please don't bash on me because really I have already bashed on myself enough for all of you women combined. Thanks for listening.

UPDATE: Thank you ladies for all of your kind words and support. Honestly, when I started this rant I dont' know what I was expecting. I have read your comments and will be taking your suggestions into serious consideration. I am tearing up over here with the support you have all shown. Thank you again.

UPDATE #2: Once again, I thank all of you ladies who were encouraging, I did infact actually go out and spend time with my family. It also helped me reflect on some changes that I need to make in my life to ensure that everything is taken care of. You have all helped inspire me and lifted my spirits I truly appreciate all of you who had kind words and advice to share!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Almost three weeks with no food? How many children and how much in stamps?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I guess kids get bigger and eat a lot more. More expenses with clothes and other items as they get bigger.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's been this tight for awhile now. I just don't remember it ever being this bad, I have no idea what changed or what happened.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow that's a lot of mouths to feed. Has money always been this tight? Or is this something recent?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have 4 kids. 14, 9 7 and 5

Quoting Anonymous:

How many kids do you have, sorry about your situation :(

pce68
by Patti on May. 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Yeah, and even though my dd is a teen, she just doesn't always comprehend "I have no money". She thinks there is always money available for what she needs or wants. And don't get me wrong, she's not spoiled. She's not asking for me to buy her brand name clothes, or expensive electronics. She knows we can't afford that. But it seems like every time I turn around she is saying she needs something, usually something little, like a new thing of deodorant, or some food item from the grocery store, and I keep having to say No, not today, maybe in a few days.

Quoting Anonymous:

:( It's hard to tell the kids no, and try to explain to them why you are saying no.

Quoting pce68:

I know how that is. I do without all the time so my dd can eat. I buy her clothes and things she needs and then never buy anything for myself. Right now I don't have money for rent, or bills either. And my dd needs things and wants things and I have to say no, and I feel like an awful mother too.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not uncommon for me to go without for my kids. I guess it's just all catching up. There is so much more stress now and really when they are asking for stuff and I can't give it to them, I truly feel like the worst mother.

Quoting littlesippycup:

I am so sorry =( I would be really hurt if my child was hungry and didn't let me cover their meal. You need to go and just tell your mom and dad thank you. You know how much you love your kids, you're going without food so they can eat....your parents feel the exact same way. I hope something works out for you soon =( 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I have had some stuff, peanutbutter and jelly here and there but the bread goes rather quickly. 4 kids total and about 500 in stamps. Which would normally be more than enough to supplement what I already do. Problem is, unexpected medical bills, unexpected in bills in general and my daughter's father calling in constantly only getting paid once a month in his job has made it hell.

Quoting Anonymous:

Almost three weeks with no food? How many children and how much in stamps?

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on May. 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM

have you tried to go to a Food bank and see if you can get some staples to last you till pay day. But you mentioned a cousin and your parents, isn't that a support system of sorts?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I feel you on that one, my oldest is 14. She is the same way and I feel bad cause I have to tell her I don't have the money. She comprehends that, but I still feel bad because I can't just run out and get her what she wants. I can't wait to be done with school so maybe all of this will just be a faded memory.

Quoting pce68:

Yeah, and even though my dd is a teen, she just doesn't always comprehend "I have no money". She thinks there is always money available for what she needs or wants. And don't get me wrong, she's not spoiled. She's not asking for me to buy her brand name clothes, or expensive electronics. She knows we can't afford that. But it seems like every time I turn around she is saying she needs something, usually something little, like a new thing of deodorant, or some food item from the grocery store, and I keep having to say No, not today, maybe in a few days.

Quoting Anonymous:

:( It's hard to tell the kids no, and try to explain to them why you are saying no.

Quoting pce68:

I know how that is. I do without all the time so my dd can eat. I buy her clothes and things she needs and then never buy anything for myself. Right now I don't have money for rent, or bills either. And my dd needs things and wants things and I have to say no, and I feel like an awful mother too.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not uncommon for me to go without for my kids. I guess it's just all catching up. There is so much more stress now and really when they are asking for stuff and I can't give it to them, I truly feel like the worst mother.

Quoting littlesippycup:

I am so sorry =( I would be really hurt if my child was hungry and didn't let me cover their meal. You need to go and just tell your mom and dad thank you. You know how much you love your kids, you're going without food so they can eat....your parents feel the exact same way. I hope something works out for you soon =( 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My cousin has come into town from out of state to visit with us, it's been years since I have seen her. My parents I love them very much but they are in worse shape. My dad got into an accident several years back and had to close up his business and now he gets SSD, barely enough to pay his bills, when I was getting financial aid and had the extra money I would bail them out so they could keep their lights on.

I can't talk to my mom, every time I talk to her about whats going on in my life she turns it around and suddenly it becomes about her, about how she has failed as a parent and how she can't do anything she wants to do, so I don't bother anymore because where as I don't mind listening to her vent she forgets what I just told her and then I feel worse for putting more on her.

Quoting wooly:

have you tried to go to a Food bank and see if you can get some staples to last you till pay day. But you mentioned a cousin and your parents, isn't that a support system of sorts?

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Do you know what stores you have?
I can give you a few coupon forums that have specific lists for stores.
Basically everyone else does the hunting and you just reap the benefits of their skills lol.

Afullcup.com
Weusecoupons.com
Iheartthemart.com
Www.aldi.us
Totallytarget.com
Iheartsavingmoney.com
Iheartkroger.com

The first two are user forums.. lots of great stuff. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, Washington state. Someone else suggested coupons, I am going to look through the coupons and see what kind of deals I can find in there, maybe hopefully be able to save enough on other stuff as well that I am not struggling as bad.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Are you in the US? And honestly. Have you ever considered coupons?

Its not a save all but you could at least save enough to feed yourself.

. Honey. . Hugs. I was homeless and lived in my car, in the south in the summer for a while.

It sucked.

There is always an up.. and soon it will come.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

The main store I shop at is Winco, they are cheap and I can get stuff in bulk, makes it easier for shopping, but I don't know if they hav ecoupons or not I will have to find out. The other store closest to me is Albertons and Safeway

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Do you know what stores you have?
I can give you a few coupon forums that have specific lists for stores.
Basically everyone else does the hunting and you just reap the benefits of their skills lol.

Afullcup.com
Weusecoupons.com
Iheartthemart.com
Www.aldi.us
Totallytarget.com
Iheartsavingmoney.com
Iheartkroger.com

The first two are user forums.. lots of great stuff. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, Washington state. Someone else suggested coupons, I am going to look through the coupons and see what kind of deals I can find in there, maybe hopefully be able to save enough on other stuff as well that I am not struggling as bad.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Are you in the US? And honestly. Have you ever considered coupons?

Its not a save all but you could at least save enough to feed yourself.

. Honey. . Hugs. I was homeless and lived in my car, in the south in the summer for a while.

It sucked.

There is always an up.. and soon it will come.

Nolanzo
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I have been where you are. Keep your chin up mama. It gets better.

DH has to fight with his coworkers about who gets to go out on the truck each day... whoever doesn't make it gets sent home early so he's literally fighting for hours every week and his paychecks suffer greatly. We have $15 till Friday and no bus $ for him to get to work, we don't have a car either.

Can you google food banks? I know they have helped us when we were down to a can of chick peas and no can opener. Seriously.

*hugs*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)