Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

scariest mom moment ever!! Update..

Posted by   + Show Post
I've never really had a scary mom moment until today. My husband comes flying in the door with my 4 year old yelling to get a rag. I took one look at him freaked out and fainted in the kitchen Lol. I made the situation so much worse! My son apparently stepped on a board that had a rock on it and it flew up and hit him right above his eye in his eyebrow. He was covered in blood. His whole face, all the way down his arms. My husband is on his way to get him stitches now.

Update......
he ended up with 5 stitches. And I finally got the full story...he didn't step on a board, he tried to make a rock launcher! And I have No idea why i said he was 4 he's 5 Lol.

What are some of your scariest mom moments?
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM

oh gosh. my kids are accident prone.

one would be when my son was 5, he had to have dental work done and they sedated him. they failed to tell me that throat spasms are common after that. my dad fell and broke his kneecap, so when we left the hospital with micah in that town, we headed to where he was, in the next. we were on a long strip of highway between the two where theres nothing but trees and dirt, and micahs throat spasmed, and he couldnt breathe. daniel pulled over and yanked him out of the car, we thought he was choking. it was terrifying, knowing that if something was really wrong, it would take a while for an ambulance to get there. luckily after a few seconds--which felt like minutes--he was ok.

so we go to the other hospital and are visiting my dad and micah sits down and says "hey ava watch this" (my daughter was about 8 months old, he was always trying to get her to laugh) and he spun around on the floor...and slammed his head into the footboard. he came over to me immediately and my first thought was that he had gogurt in his hair. lol idk why. dh took him to the bathroom, by the time i handed ava off to my mom and got in there in looked like a horror movie. dh had had his hand over micahs head so it was covered in blood, and when he felt for the light he left a bloody handprint smeared up the wall. he had first taken him over to the sink, and there was blood all over the floor where it had dripped and they stepped in it, dripping off the sink, splattered in the sink, then he put him in the shower to rinse it off so he could see it better so there was blood all over there too. he ended up with 6 staples. luckily the er was just downstairs. :o\

with ava...when she was 6 wks old she had a cold that had gotten a little worse. it was friday and she had a drs appt for monday morning. friday night daniel was sitting on the couch holding her and she stopped being able to breathe. she was trying, but couldnt. i ran to the kitchen and threw the snot sucker to daniel and he suctioned her nose and throat. she could breathe again but it was strained. we went to the er and she had rsv and had to stay for a wk.

imamombygrace
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Oldest..when we first found out about all her kidney/bladder issues. Took a fever of 106 and it was a scary moment.

For youngest it was when we found out she was allergic to nuts. Her eyes were swollen shut and hives everywhere. I was in a panic.
tardistraveller
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Oh, yea it turned out to be croup, which triggered an asthma attack.  They kept him in hospital until the croup ran it's course because they were worried about him having another asthma attack.

Running to the ER for croup ended up being a regular occurance until he was about 6 yr old.  Although that first time was the scariest and the worst episode.

Quoting aiyess:

Did he have an ashma attack?

Quoting tardistraveller:

My son was in bed and he started coughing really strangely.  I went in the room to check on him and his face was turning red and he was gasping.  He gasped out "breathe" and I called 911.  I almost lost my shit.  Thankfully the 911 operator helped me keep calm by saying "I'm here mom, don't get upset, don't let him see you scared, he can't start crying."

The firemen got there first and gave him an oxygen mask and helped us stay calm until the paramedics arrived.  

On the way to the hospital the paramedic gave ds some misty stuff in a mask and he was doing better although he sounded ragged in his breathing and you could see his whole chest suck in with each breath.

DS stayed in the hospital for 4 days.  It was terrifying.  I tear up now thinking about it, I thought I was going to lose him that night.  The only thing keeping me together was the 911 operator saying in my ear "stay with me mom, it's ok, the paramedics are on their way, they'll be there soon" and such.  

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

also, when micah was born. i had an emergency c section and he was born purple and not breathing. it was scary, but i think having the drs right there and knowing he was in the best place we could be at made it different than when theres no one around and your kid gets hurt. i wouldnt say its LESS scary, just different.

Evansmommy1130
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM
When Ds was 3 months old I finished feeding and burping him and placed him in his boppy propted up on the floor. I walked a few feet into the kitchen to put the bottle in the sink. I felt like something was wrong so I ran over to him and he was choking on his formula. I picked him up and turned him over, then I smacked him on the back. He threw up all the formula and started to cry. I was so happy to hear him cry. I took him to his doctor that day to have him checked and he was fine. We switched his formula and it never happened again.

Edited to add: My Dh and I become infant and child cpr the next week.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

1. DS was legally stillborn. After an hour and a half of the NICU staff working on him, I was finally able to hold a healthy baby.

2. DS ended up in NICU at 4days old because he became unresponsive. He was suffering from malnutrition and dehydration as I wasn't lactating enough.

3. In the time it took me to bend down and pick something up that I had dropped, my son disappeared. We were at WalMart. I searched for him for about a minute when it hit me. The more time I waste looking for him, the more likely somebody can grab him and take off. And my mind wandered from there. I doubt I need to share the details. The store was placed on lockdown; they found him at the video game section. I practically ripped him a new asshole (he was 5). He's never so much as left my side since then.

mommybecky
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM
My dd, now 14, was 11 months old and just starting to walk. I had something in the oven. I was renting at the time and the oven was crappy, with little to no insulation. I turned my back for a split second when she touched the OUTSIDE of the oven door. She screamed bloody murder. Her hand blistered immediately. My mom and I took her to the ER. She had 3rd degree burns all over the palm of her hand. She cried for 2 hours straight.

I had to follow up with a plastic surgeon who prescribed silvadene cream and physical therapy. I had to take her twice her twice a week to have the wound cleaned and all the dead skin cut off. It was horrible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM

oh...micah again. (this kid has freaked me out many a time) he had an allergic reaction to a certain lotion ingredient. its common, and the pharmacist said i didnt have to take him in bc it would wear off, but i could if ii wanted to. he didnt know who i was. my mom put the lotion on him, and a few minutes later he started nodding off. she thought he was just sleepy, but i knew he wasnt. i got him up and started asking him questions, and he didnt know where he was or who i was. i washed him off as best and fast as i could while on the phone with the pharmacy. i took him in anyway, and was fine and calm til we got to the er doors. as they wheeled him in, the nurse was outside asking me questions and i started crying. my kid didnt know who i was! she was a rude bitch, too. the head nurse overheard her telling me to stop crying rather harshly and came over and told her to go do something else and apologized for her. micah was fine after about an hour, before we even saw the dr. lol.

piercedbeauty21

I left Dd alone with Dh for literally 10 mins. I came back and all my neighbors were surrounding my house. I asked them what happened and all they said was, "She's okay." I panicked. I ran up the steps and as I'm running, I see blood on my steps, door, and all over the front porch. I fling the door open and start calling for them, and nobody answers me. I run throughout the house and see more blood in my sink and bloody paper towels in the trashcan. I run back outside and I see my MIL with Dd's bloody shirt. (MIL lives across the street). I'm in tears asking where Dd is. Turns out, Dh was standing in the driveway, talking to a friend, and Dd was on the porch. She got on her bike and tried to ride it down the stairs. Her face hit the handlebars, and then she scratched her face on the pavement. Dh was at his Mom's cleaning up Dd and calming her down. I ran inside and checked her out and she was fine. She was pretty messy, but all in all nothing was seriously wrong. I was LIVID. That was the LAST time I ever left Dd alone with Dh. That happened when she was 3 and she's 4 now.

CafeMom Tickers

nbgg8687
I've had a few. my son choked on a quarter... like full fleged stuck in his throat. 30 seconds I was getting so scared I couldn't get it out and trying to think of ways to call 911 and keep trying to get it out. Then he got a concussion falling out of a grocery cart head first. my daughter drank diluted bleach... but was fine. the hospital was very kind to me lol... lets just say I was having a serious melt down. there's more. just don't want to display all of my mother of the day awards around lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN