Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you force your kids to go to church? Edit

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM
  • 121 Replies

This morning at church I was talking to some people, and I said that my dd14 doesn't like Sunday school so we just come for 11:00. She has youth worship then and I have Sunday school. Another mom said she doesn't care if her kids like it or not, that they have to come. I don't agree with that. I want church to be a place my dd enjoys being at, and if she doen't enjoy it, I am not going to force her to go. 

So if you go to church, or any other house of worship, would you make your child go if they said they didn't like it and didn't want to go? I'm talking mostly about school age children and teens. Do you think it is better to make them go every week regardless of what they say they want, or to let them choose?

Edit: i was talking mainly about teenagers here since my dd is 14, and the mom I was talking to at church had two high schoolers, and they probably like going to church, since they have gone all of their life, but I was shocked when she said that they were required to go whether they liked going or not. 

Of course if you go to church every Sunday and you have younger children they would go with you. At that age most children love church, and if they said they didn't want to go, I'd be checking to see if there was an issue with another child, or the teacher, or some reasonable explanation as to why they didn't like going. My dd loves chuch, usually she is the one making me go to church. She is there almost every Sunday and for almost every youth activity. The only thing she doesn't like right now is Sunday School. I think part of it is an issue with the teachers, and how they run class. They stick very strictly to the lesson, and don't allow for much discussion (religious discussion), plus the class is very large. Wed night small groups are a different teacher, with just the girls, and a more laid back teacher and she enjoys that, but Sunday small groups are different, so I have let her back off of them and we will try them again next year, and see if it is any better.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I am an athiest, so no.  But I do correct my son and tell him there is no god. or "We don't believe in that" and explain things.  I also don;'t allow prayer in my house.

If i was christian I would make my child go to church.

I feel like it's part of parenting to give your kids religious "training".

EmmeBee
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I am not religious but if my kid wanted to go to church with a friend or family, I would let them.  I believe kids are their own person and if they aren't hurting anyone let them explore who they are

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
They can choose to do what they want, when they're out of the house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I was forced to go to church as a child and I refuse to subject my children to it. If they want to go, I am more than happy to take them and find a church they love. They know all about my beliefs and are free to choose their own. I won't force it on them. Just as I won't force my own beliefs.

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Well, my dd is only 3, so she goes with us and plays in the nursery while we enjoy the service. I don't think you should MAKE kids go if they really don't want to. 

My experience has been that church looses it's a appeal when your a kid. Then when you become an adult the interest returns. I think that forcing a young person to do some things only creates resentment and you could push them away from being interested forever. I'm not going to do that. Plus, not all Sunday school classes are great. If your dd likes the service, but not the school, then I think that's okay. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM

My girls are 7 & 5, I ask them. If they want to go we do, if they don't want to we don't. 

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You can't be serious. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am an athiest, so no.  But I do correct my son and tell him there is no god. or "We don't believe in that" and explain things.  I also don;'t allow prayer in my house.

If i was christian I would make my child go to church.

I feel like it's part of parenting to give your kids religious "training".

Fallaya
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM
I'd like to start going to church, and my dd will be required to go with me.
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM
We changed churches when my kids started fighting me about going. I want them to be happy, but Its my job to make sure they're getting that spiritual foundation.so we found a place we all liked better. Would you let them quit school just because tgey hated going?
ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I do not belive in forcing my son into any beliefs. He belives what he wants to, my faith is my faith, he is allowed to chose his own. I believe in God but we dont attend church, he has never asked to go, so I have never taken him. If he ever asked to go I would try to find one, although around here its hard to find a decent one.  But no, I am allowing my son to make up his own mind in what he wants to believe!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)